10 awg vs 12 awg...and XT90

Hi guys…I’m a little confused about awg…this is my first build and I’m far to understand very well electronics. I’m expecting to get by mail 2 zippy compact 5000 5s, to connect in series for a torque boards VESC and 6355 192Kv motor. So I have to change some connectors, but I’m not sure about AWG…VESC to battery is 10AWG, I do not know about the awg for the battery wires yet, (I’ve read is 8 AWG and 5.5 bullets?)…so is there a problem to have different awg in the system? I will build a HTX cable to connect batteries in series, and was thinking 10awg…and XT90 connectors to all connections with XT90 anti spark…is that ok? I’m confused so I will really appreciate your comments guys! Thanks!!!

when you join this forum and start a build, we expect that you have atleast a basic knowledge of electronics.

4 Likes

I think it depends on the wire, turnigy High strand count silicone wire is rated for more amps then the table you posted.

2 Likes

at 10S you don’t need anything higher than 12AWG for discharge. (high stand count silicone wire: use it) ITs nice to have, but not necessary. That means anything thicker than that is just fine and it doesn’t matter if you solder a 12 to a 10 or make connectors for putting a 10 to an 8.

Assuming you don’t put black wires where red ones go.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply I’m not fully ignorant about electronics but some terms are new for me and playing with batteries is not an option…safety first…believe me I will share my knowledge and experience with newbies too when the time comes…I guess we are all learning here from each other…that’s the logic of this community

7 Likes

also its worth noting that ANY high strand count silicone wire will do.

I have bought Superworm, Turnigy, somethign called RC Force… and generic no name. Maybe i’ll get some with my name on it. I’ll brand it “LHB FUCK YEAH SPAGHETTI 12AWG DAWGS” and everyone will buy it and i’ll retire.

Its all the same. Get it from ebay by the meter if you want it cheap, amazon by the foot if you want it now.

Anything less than high count silicone wire is garbage.

Solid core? Garbage. PVC and lower count stranded copper? Garbage. rubber insulated low count thick multistrand copper? Garbage.

If you’re serious about building a great board for yourself, order some and get ready to replace the Garbage that might come on your motors, your BMS wire harness, and yes even an ESC on occasion.

Garbage causes fires and shorts. It melts and burns and tears under even normal bending stress. Silicone doesn’t. Try to burn it some time, its really quite interesting. start with a lighter and work your way up to a confectionary torch on various settings.

4 Likes

to be clear Single core will be preferred EVERY where, where there is no movement/ constant bending. Single core 3mm2 wire has more correction surface than multis-trended and also has lower resistance = higher ampacity from same diameter conducted. The more multi stranded wire is the less is ampacity. So inside pack from far away negative to the BMS bat- single core is ideal - 3mm single core is about 7mm2 and it can handle as much as 60amps continues if it is under 1m long with much heating up. (almost non) but of course can’t use it as output to the plug as it can’t be bent too often for too long

You make it sound like it is alllllllllll positive. In engine bays, silicone jacketed wires, are considered vulnerable. The jacket is EASILY cut. So, we build against any chafing capability, and use the silicone jacketed wires.