100 mile range (The Big Boy Toy Project)

Dudes going for a “world-record”. Since when did record breaking become cheap? lmao

1 Like

Since I found a ton of cheap batteries on ebay, lol…C rating becomes less important when you use over 50,000mah, lol Yes, you can get much better batteries, but I cannot afford them even with sponsor support. Hobbyking hooked me up with 3 20,000mah 14.8v 4cell packs to use in my race setup…only 10c but should work well.

I’m not flaming you. I simply made a suggestion, i’m the one getting flamed for my suggestion haha

No flamage from me dude, no worries…

If someone wanted to donate or build me a battery to showcase their skills or technology, I’m all ears. I lack a battery sponsor, so I have figured out how to go 100 miles from cheap ebay crap…it’s not about what’s “best” it’s about what’s possible (for me)…I regularly ride my long range board and it’s rocking 6 of these batteries and goes 52 miles on a charge with 90mm classic thane, I just put down 15 batteries and plan to run 107mm reflex …think I’ll go 100 miles?

I need to talk to Dave bout gear ratio too, I’m on the stock hobbyking 15/36 125kv 36v on 107mm…and I would love more torque and efficiency…suggestions? I am currently using this, and would like to get a large motor pulley to gain torque: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/gear-set-with-belt.html

I think you’re backwards, you want a larger wheel pulley for more torque right? Something like bumping up to a TB 40tooth

2 Likes

Anyone have a line on a 15mm 5m 40 tooth for the 107mm in alloy?

1 Like

gah dammnnn 100 mile range it’s intense hehe. I’m waiting on one part but mine should reach roughly 60 miles. But I’m using 18650 cells

1 Like

Multiplex. What’s your battery setup?

I’m using a 10s8p liion setup :smiley: it’s a bit heavier thana 40 cell setup obviously, but I’m building something more for distance. Technically on a flat land setup without constant full speed… I should be able to do around 65-75 miles.

I used http://calc.esk8.today/advanced/ to calculate the info.

Using 100mm wheels, 260kv motor (dual diagonal setup), average energy use of around 10watts per mile. Running around 33% efficiency which gives me a speed of roughly 16mph. Nothing too quick, but gives some distance…

If I adjust the settings to get more distance, I could drop eff to 25%, 12.5mph constant speed, probably around 8w-hr per mile, giving me a theoretical distance of 90miles per charge.

To get a 100 mile range, I’d have to drop eff to like 15-18%, constant speed around 8ish mph

Flip side, if i’m running 40% eff, for a constant speed around 23.5mph, I could theoretically do 48 miles.

However… I’m waiting on the second vesc to come in, and I’ll finalize the setup to test this out for real world numbers.

2 Likes

I decided to take a small data sample at slow speeds. Which is hard to do btw. My BT module reports data for only one vesc. But at 9mph average I used 1.6a combined average. Dual 6374 on 107s with 18/36 12s. So if I had 12s8p with 30q would be 24ah pack. At this this usage I could go for 15hrs at 9 mph is 135 miles. My riding area is super flat and smooth. Realistically less than 135 but over 100. Maybe?!?

I’d rather do it at ~33 mph…

[[quote=“squishy654, post:1, topic:40211”] If you want to join me, build one too and let’s do this! [/quote]

After work yesterday I threw all four of my Carvon V3’s onto my Trampa deck with a 1600whr battery.

I figured Id give it a warm up run today to get it dialed in and work any bugs out but after about 30miles she was running flawlessly and I still had 70% charge so I decided Id do a full range test.

I tracked the whole run on the Ackmaniac app and also on Strava App.

]

Averaged under 14 whrs/mile over 102mile ride in under 8hrs :ok_hand:

27 Likes

nice :slight_smile: scary routing at the truck, not sure if I would trust that thing longterm!

Im building a 12S7P 18650 cruiser (around 1000Wh = 100km) for a summer europe tour as well. full system fully redundant, dual diagonal motors - pressed my own deck for it too - its 1.20m and flexy :sweat_smile:

probably start working on batteries & co in q1 2018

11 Likes

Way to beat squishy to the punchline! 12S12P pack or Lipo?

2 Likes

Damn, i average around 30wh/m with 200mm pneumatics. Id need a battery twice the size.

1 Like

Nice dude! That’s what im talkin bout!!

2 Likes

I always think of the tootsie roll mascot when I am trying to do a range test, I can only get a few miles in before I start hammering the throttle and flying around town. Great job man, you made some history!

3 Likes

phew! thought I was the only one :sweat_smile:

1 Like

12S 36AH Lipo

I have the exact same problem lol, set the board to an inefficiency mode I made in @Ackmaniac app to limit my power and prevent me from doing flyby’s on bikers lol.

4 Likes

I broke 100 miles with 1350whrs, if your single drive belt build can match my 4wd efficiency youd get close to 200miles on a charge!

3 Likes