10s-12s Custom Battery Pack Options

Damn @chaka…that board is awesome…I went with a 12s3p pack from torqueboards (30a-60a I think?). So I should be able to power the dual’s with that no problem, right? I also am going dual VESC so as you mentioned that should help. Any other advice you can give is greatly appreciated. I haven’t been able to find the exact KV of the Carvon’s…I should probably call on @leVer

The Carvon Hub Motors are 149kv.

1 Like

@AbrownMN - 30a cont/80a peak

1 Like

Thanks Guys! @torqueboards @mccloed

8600 divide by the motor kv giving the voltage you can use with the vesc!?! that seems really high. I did read vedder’s thing about an optimum e-rpm but I didn’t understand it to mean the voltage usable. With 100kv motors that would allow me to use 86 volts!. that sounds way off. I heard from him that 12s would be fine so 44 volts or maybe call it 50.

86 volts? maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

what’s the highest voltage youve ran the vesc?

Are these the biggest capacitance with low esr: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/capacitors/aluminum-capacitors/131081?k=Rubycon+ZLH&pv13=126&pv63=491&FV=fff40002%2Cfff80009&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=63&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

what cells are they?

What woodworking tool did you use to cut that slight channel around the outside edge? A router? What sort of bit did you have in there?

@Hummie The cells are LG HE4.

Looks more like 60amp continuous and 105 burst with 3p for your pack torque

Why LG HE4 vs Panasonic NCR18650B ? I know the HE4 have 10A cont. Discharge but Panasonic have much higher 3400 mah and 8a cont. You wouldn’t be pulling 30a cont and 80a burst?

He4 have 20 amp continuous

The Panasonic are 6.8amp continuous.

@Hummie - Yeah, so far I haven’t needed any higher than that. Bigger BMS/more costly and don’t seem a need.

Oo so the bms is the limit

Still dont understand why not just bypass all of this and get some cheap Lipos…

Last many more cycles. Less likely to burn up and don’t have to think about it. Less physically vulnerable. More energy density.

Do the extra cycles offset the extra cost?

I have just bought a pack of cheap multistar lipos and ripped them all apart. I’m going to solder them all together again soon.

where does every one get that big heat shrink from??

ebay/ hobbyking, They are just different millimeters

I think so. The cycles are many more. Piece of mind.

I just got the multistar as well actually. Great deal. Slim. Going even slimmer!! The 3s is the slimmest I’ve found

How many more…like 3X, 5X, 10X?