10S or 12S I'm so indecisive!

So whats the point in arguing about 10s or 12s. The battery size doesnt affect the output of the esc and only increases its possible output.

This entire thread contains nothing but answers to your question. Ie the differences between 10 or 12s.

1 Like

Once you go 12s, 10s will never satisfy you completely.

10s is not bad but leaves you wanting more once you know what more feels like lol

I need some help.

I’m doing some calculations to decide wether or not to go 12S4P or 10S5P on my next build. On every spec it seems 10S5P beats out 12S4P. The only spec that wins on 12S is max Wattage after taking into account voltage drop at nominal voltage, and motor and vesc amp limits.

20190417_154202

10S otherwise wins regarding voltage sag, max amp output, total watt hours, and the limit becomes motors and vescs at high wattages. 36mph @ 10S, 43mph @12S. The differences are not huge, and I might want to go faster, and saving two cells worth of space with 12S might be beneficial… Just dunno. Thoughts?

You have it nailed to a T, the bump to 12s, without the addition of another P group wont possibly win against a similar 10s layout ON PAPER

Dont forget that the additional voltage means you can decrease your batt max, meaning potentially squeezing some extra KMs…

I would only say 10s and a larger p count if you were feeling dissatisfied with your last battery OR youre not running a Unity/Vesc 6/Vesc 6 derivative

1 Like

Thanks for that idea, I checked what the load would be per cell to reach a certain wattage for each config… 10S still barely edges out. Hmm.

20190417_164121

I’m guessing it’s always just edging out in favor of 10S5P because of the two additional cells, and the higher 12S voltage allows max Wattage to surpass the 10S due to efficiency of higher voltage in that specific case.

2 Likes

interesting! Iooks to be mostly preference

An MTB/pneumie build would benefit from the torque bump if they wanted to upgrade their battery and not the drive train… Seems like a pretty niche benefit :man_shrugging:

1 Like

personally i would go for 12s and then gear my drivetrain accordingly.

The stats say go for 10. If you’d go 12s though you would also go 12s emphasis on go and your fun would stop a lot sooner. More P count would help then if that’s an option.

When the speed and power is available you will definitely want to use it.

I run 12s6p and I run it hard. I could go for a run and only be able to get 25km out of them. I should also be able to get 60km out of them but damn that would be a slow and steady ride doing 25kph I think and no hard take offs. I’ll never try that.

3 Likes