12s LiPo BMS: Will this work?

I run a BMS on my 10s LiPO board. Bypassing the BMS while discharging and charging with the BMS. Works like clockwork so far and no worries about maximum discharge. However you don’t get the same security while discharging but I measure my batteries regularly and VESC has the voltage drop off so I won’t discharge too much.

Also, I don’t get all the fuzz about “don’t use a BMS with LiPO”. It’s essentially a balance charger and you also get some security measures while discharging(if you do not bypass it). Can’t be worse than running the LiPO’s without one at all. If so, I don’t see how.

2 Likes

That BMS will work fine, but that charger will not. You need a lithium-ion/lithium polymer charger. This one will do it for you.

http://www.batterysupports.com/36v-42v-5a-lithium-ion-battery-charger-10s-10x-36v-lion-lipo-p-166.html

@massy yeah i don’t get it either. having a BMS and dedicated charger is EXACTLY like having a balance charger. Except the balnacer is in the board and the charger is outside, and all you do is plug it into the wall and go away for a bit instead of babysitting a programmable and finicky piece of equipment that stops every 30 minutes for no reason.

2 Likes

I thought he wanted a 12s charger? That is a 10S charger. Unless we are talking about someone else.

If you were pulling 100a continuous, your battery would die quickly.

I never said anything about pulling 100 amp continuous… I said 100amp would be plenty.

but why say continuous if it’s not continuous?

Well if 20c is what your battery can do continuously and you have 5ah then why not get a 100amp continuous bms? It is highly unlikely you will ever draw 100amps continuously so a 60amp BMS would be fine.

@link5505 are you Aussie?

American. I ended up buying a 60a BMS. I guess it’s just my English that makes it confusing

Also it didn’t seem practical to me to use 20c continuous lol

Im sorry this sounds EXTREMELY noobish and out of place, But wheres the button to make a new topic or thread :neutral_face: help please…

On the left hand side. Above the topics. You may not be able to create a thread until you have read for at least 30 minutes and commented on a few topics.

2 Likes