12s One Plug Charge Tutorial

Am I correct in thinking that you’d have to charge one 6s pack at a time and not 2 in parallel with this setup?

@Bender you definitely can’t parallel charge this setup. You would need 2 chargers.

Been searching and can’t find any pre-built permanent charging options I would possibly buy and I bet many others would eventually… maybe) a pre-soldered/setup charging port solution allowing for permanent battery mounting. I’d be especially interested in 10s and 12s lipo ports.

I’m guessing a d-sub connector that would mount to enclosure panel with balance connector or harness to plug individual batteries into. Ideally it would come with the external harness to plug into the charger. Even if it would require two charging ports.

Is there any sort of rendition to his that exists and is available? Thought i remember Miami offering something similar to this, but then when I checked later it wasn’t available/offered any longer. I’m hoping my search ability is less than adequate and there is. If not I will be adding this on my long to do list.

these days I just have one or two balance connectors coming out of the box and I just charge off them.

That seems a nice solution w nothing needed in the board yet still balancing and also electronically simple. If it were all hooked up with a 13 prong plug be great

please keep in mind that most D-SUBS have about 100 plug in&out cycles before something dies…

Can you recommend any D-subs that have a better lifetime? I don’t mind paying for them, as I have a couple sets of batteries that i’ll likely be switching… more and more I think about it I feel like I should just buy a BMS… but do they accomodate for different batteries? ie 12s vs 10s vs 6s… so are there universal ones I suppose is the question?

@toleg is building a real beauty of a board with external BMS, he uses a DIN connector. Pics visible here

2 Likes

Can you charge them without removing your enclosure?

Yes. Always

Could you please shed me a little insight prease? I am currently trying to install I guess a very close to identical setup as this (I have two 6S VGA adapters soldered up and ready to install) but am reluctant to still because Im not sure how to lay it out exactly for long term charging option w/o enclosure removal.

Please and thank you brudda

1 Like

These days i just poke a balance lead out the side. Keeps it simple.

Ok hopefully this is my last question on this topic. So would this setup work:

Dual 6s lipos, each going to a custom VGA adapter along with the balance leads. The + of bat1 and - of bat2 will form the series 12s connection.

There will be a removable loopkey between the common wire between the two 6s batteries going from + of one to - of the other which I will remove for charging. Then the 12s series connection will go to another (main power) removable loopkey then to escs and rest of electronics.

Does anyone see any issues with this setup? Thanks in advance!