12S4P Battery Pack With PCB

maybe read up about cells a little more, the advice that I was giving was not wrong, as you can see in the photo the positive and negatives are touching between cells without issue, cause that’s how cells in parallel work :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Read up on cells? LOL. I’m done replying to you.

didn’t you see the photo?

the cell only shorts if one cell slides up closing the circuit

1 Like

@SanderG which do you have a picture of the pcbs you will use? There are some designs which have a copper field in the middle as well. If that’s the one you use than take care that no of the nickel or wires you use is hanging over the copper fields on the end. Hard to explain, hope you got it non the less.

1 Like

I don’t need your photo. You still don’t understand, which is a re-occurring thing around here with you apparently. .

For the OP, anything is possible. Focus efforts on avoiding the common badness.

Fishpaper around p groups is a solid choice. Insulated spacing between each cell in a p group is maybe a lot. I’m sure someone will post a pic of a short caused by this situation. But if you are using pcbs too, this shouldnt ever happen.

@Fiori, I’m totally open to your concern. Hit us with details if you experienced a short that extra insulation would have prevented.

The cells would short if it touches side by side like this

IMG_20190426_141711

if the cells are connected in paralell as indicated by blue it wont matter if the can touches

proven1

the second cell if touched not on level will act as a bridge causing a short, indicated by yellow and red

proven2

2 Likes

so am i supposed to wrap every cell in a extra layer of fish paper? (not saying its bad) also you said i was wrong :expressionless:

its a reoccurring thing that people dont take in information

Yea the flex of mine is gonna be the flex copper wire between the serie connection, so each P group can flex (but will not need flex tho)

1 Like

hmm really never knew, i dont like flexy packs for some reason idk, but still trying to figure out the layout for my 13s10p

I’m going to have to agree with Alan here. Shorting negative terminals within p groups doesn’t really matter. Shorting a positive terminal with any negative terminal within the p group or within the cell itself does. And if we’re talking about 2 p groups next to each other then yeah the negative terminals between those shouldn’t touch too.

It would take a slight shift to cause that to short. I prefer to insulate it because its the safe thing to do. I care about safety, maybe you don’t. Iv’e seen it happen.

You really want to rely on your pack staying perfectly level for safety? I don’t.

1 Like

Yea i have a copper field in the middle, i can wrap each middel in fishpaper, thanks for the tip!!

1 Like

hmm i thought you didn’t understand, but i know a little shift can cause a short thats why i explained it.

but i was a little aggravated when you blatantly said my information was wrong :sweat_smile:

Because it was wrong. It can short. It’s still wrong…

proven1

@Fiori do you see my cells shorting?

You’re like a brick wall.

1 Like

hehe :rofl:

There is always a little flex on every pack. That can kill your welds over time. You don’t need a crazy flex pack but to make the series connections with silicon wire instead of welded nickel is not a bad idea.

2 Likes

Thats pretty good :ok_hand:

1 Like