150A 6s rated esc on 8S? Will it hold up?

@oren , unfortunately it didn’t last that long on 8s, I probably got about 2 hours out of it. I am now using the yep 120a HV ESC on 12cells, it is great because the active freewheeling enable the esc to generate less heat at partial throttle, which makes it efficient to run it on 12S, compared to other hobby esc’s. The only bad thing on the yep esc is the brake, which is very hard.and the variable brake is to soft.

@Jakebarnhill1, thanks for the followup! It was tempting to try because the 6s ESCs are usually much cheaper than HV. The price especially adds up when buying 2 of them for dual hub motors. Now I know it’s not a good idea.

The YEP 120A HV sounds like a good option. I actually just ordered a pair of VESCs from a company called Maytech through AliExpress. They’re kind of expensive (I paid $110 USD each) but everyone seems very happy with VESCs. The braking was one of the main reasons I’m trying VESC. I bought them with a pair of 70mm hub motors for a shortboard I’m building. This is going to be my first build so I’ll find out soon how well they work.

Curiosity here. Which remote control are you using? I have the same ESC and I can’t get any binding or throttle with a few different remotes. However, it connects and works fine when using a servo tester.

Cheers Marco mcoboards.com

I’m using the gt2b. Make sure throttle isn’t reversed on the remotes your using. And also if the reciever isn’t bound to the radio it won’t work. Once you know the reciever is bound to the remote (the red light will be solid on) try reversing the throttle channel if it doesn’t work when it isn’t reversed.

Good luck

Hi man, Are you sure about that 16 mph? I have also had the boat esc, very bad braking but the speed was pretty stable, max speed was around 24 mph. It’s very strange if you have 230Kv on 6S with 32T and 20T pulley you can only go 16mph… If you have a wheel diameter of 70mm the max speed MUST be around 21mph. If you have a larger diameter, the max speed would always be higher so…

Thanks mate. I will give it a go with the gt2b :wink:

Hey man,

I am trying to setup the esc using the gt2b and there is no confirmation beep from the esc. Both transmitter and receiver are bound correctly. I made a video showing what’s happening… Would you be able to tell if I am doing anything wrong please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6_Pw7QY_hA

I got in touch to Hobbyking and that was their response:

Alex, May 9, 21:12 HKT: Hello,

The YEP 150 is not designed to be used with a car transmitter. Since the end points are not the same as a standard helicopter or airplane transmitter the ESC will not initialize.

Regards.

Alex

Hey mate I somehow missed your notification…

anyway did you get it working?

Hey mate,

I sort of parked the project for a while. I might get a new vesc this time. I tried all different controllers and none will pair with esc.

Thanks anyways!

one last suggestion :slight_smile: did you have the programming wire plugged into the receiver instead of the throttle wire??