1st Build documentary. The Innoculator

Ok, so I’ve done alot since the last post. Too tired for words, the pictures will explain…

Vescs finally came in, now I’m just waiting on bms and charger. I’m president of the eskate club at the University of California Riverside, so ive been working on everyone’s boards. Im going to start charging

Really interested to see how you fit the battery. I’ve got that skateshred deck on a push board and it’s all scraped up. I ride it real low, but I can drag the edges on the ground in a hard turn on flat.

I’m making a flat pack with a slimish psychotiller enclosure. I doubt I’ll be able to keep it drop through, but I wanted to mount it that way preliminarily for shits n gigs.

So are the resisters on the esc 4.20 the new fixed version or the old version? I am also looking to buy a pair .

I can’t tell with my naked eye, and i dont have a magnifying glass at the moment, but if my shitty camera isn’t lying, i don’t believe I see a decimal point on these resistors. Maybe @Schtekarsten can confirm, but I do believe they are the 47!

I went to psychotiller’s amazing skateboard laboratory this week to get an enclosure. They let me ride some of their boards, I was blown away by the crazy power of their 4 motor setups.

Picked up this beautiful enclosure $70

1 Like

yah that is 47 ohms resistors which is what you want for that esc (if it was 4.7 it would have been stated 4h7) there are three categories /levels of mosfets on the 4.20 vesc though. (in other words how well the deal with heat) 1, that is the basic one with a single row of six “628 mosfets” 2, the very old dual 4.20 plus used six “612 mosfets” with is slightly better 3, the current version of dual 4.20 plus uses dual rows of six “628 mosfets” meaning you won’t have temp issues on pretty much any street setup. you need to bypass the antispark by soldering a wire on the underside of the pcb on the current and previous “plus versions” and either use a loopy key or a reliable antispark.

Thanks for the verification, you are legit

Finished gripping the board, i straight copied @sayekim but have nowhere near the skill or artistic capability, and it came out horribly.

I decided to rip it off and go for simple black, i dont actually want as much attention drawn to me as that that color would have done. Also painted my blue @dickyho mounts black to match the all black scheme

My house is a wreck

1 Like

Built the spot welder. It works!!

Thanks for the credit. From afar it doesn’t look very bad at all.

Hell I notice some mistakes on mine too.

Granted your deck does seem slightly more difficult to do with its curves.

So the innoculator is complete. Build pictures pending for tomorrow. Now my question is this, i accidentally bought the wrong charger, it is 54.6v my question is, can I use this until my replacement comes in a few days? I realize that it will over charge my battery left unattended, but can I use it if I check the voltage of my battery every 10 minutes and stop around a conservative 48v?

Finished, here are some pictures pre-wrapped battery.

Gotta clean her before i take a finished picture, she hauls ass. These 200kv dickyho motors are super smooth and powerful.

1 Like

Whelp, I just blew a vesc. Have no clue why or how. One moment it was working, and the next neither motor would run or brake and I was going down hill at around 30mph +, thank god I can footbrake. I was running them pretty hard, but my VESC current settings are well within the ratings.

What happened? What should I do? The VESC was $50 is it worth trying to get it repaired?

My motor current is set at 50A, my motor regen is -40A

Battery current is set at 40A, and regen set at -18A

I probably can’t send it back to the aliexpress seller either… I did use it for about a week after all.

Battery is 12s4p HG2 cells VESC is 4.2 with the updated 72ohm resistors

200kv @ fully charged 12s puts you above the ERPM limit, if I’m not mistaken. Also I believe the 4.2s are more reliable below 35A.

Ouch, yea, I was blasting full speed. To avoid this on my next vesc do I have to get a different model? Would this have happened on a flipsky 6.6 dual?

Are the Erpm limits different?

Yeah, the 6.6 hardware goes up to 150k