1st Build, HELP!

Hey, I’m building my first eboard. I’m looking for a single motor set up that can get me 8-10 miles at about 20mph. I’m very mechanical but know zero about electronics and can’t weld/solder haha. I commute to New York City every day and would love a build that gets me around the city once I’m in. 20mph max speed, 8-10 mile range. Not very hilly. What do I get? Thank you all in advance!

are you looking to go DIY or would you rather buy a pre-built board?

I’d like to go DIY, more fun to build stuff.

good man!

your first stop is going to be reading this: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/start-here-faq-for-diy-electric-skateboard-builders/215

I would guess with your specs something like this would probably tick the boxes: Single Motor - Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv Brushless Outrunner Motor 8S Battery - I used 2 x 4S: ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 20C Gearing: 15 + 36

I am still in the process of building my board but I would expect to get about 20mph top speed and 10 miles (ish) range out of it as I am using the stuff described above. Anyone with more real world experience please correct me if I am wrong.

If you can work out what I the items above are and how they relate to performance from researching the thread and this site I think you will be on your way to gaining the necessary knowledge required to build your board.

Thank you very much!

You will most likely want to learn how to solder - it’s a great skill to have and not hard to pick up, especially if you are good with your hands.

Grab an iron and a cheap electronics kit that looks fun to get some practice in before working on expensive stuff. There are tonnes of great tutorials on soldering out there…

yea get a good soldering station, i use the hakko fx888d. the wire cutter in this set is awesome, and it’s become an essential tool.

get a nice big spool of solder, a soldering mat if you don’t have an appropriate workspace (so you can use it on a dining table, for example). then get some 5.5mm bullet, xt90 connectors, and a decent length of 10awg silicone wire and practice for a bit. there’s plenty of great vids on making connections, that’s how i learned. you’ll sacrifice some connectors and wire but worth it.

if you lack the ability to solder connections you’ll end up buying everything premade which is not only costly, but won’t fit just right in your particular build.

here’s a wiring scheme for a build in doing right now:

4 Likes

Do. Some. Research. This forum has more information than a noob could ever need and it is very easy to find what you need using the search function. This may sound harsh as you are new but you have to put some work into understanding this before you ask everyone else to find parts for you.