2018 ESK8CON PLEASANTON CALIFORNIA, USA - Thread #2

Uh oh, definitely gotta bring my leafboard to this one!

I can take a look at that as well. I know that the Fairgrounds will probably be expensive but I also have quite a few connections within the Pleasanton community (considering I live here), so let’s see what the prices are and if we can secure a discount before crossing it off the list.

Another alternative if we do end up at Shadow Cliffs, I can also arrange for transportation from Bart to the area at low cost if needed.

1 Like

I probably won’t be able to go but I know someone in the bay area who JUST started to have interest after testing some boards at the SF Worlds Fair Nano last weekend. I think he’s starting to think about getting his first board. But if he doesn’t , I hope some of you will bring more than one to share :wink:

2 Likes

Hey @anorak234,

I’m one of the admins of BAESk8 (Bay Area Esk8), and the organizer of that 50-person group ride people are talking about. I wouldn’t mind helping out in the organization of this event if you’re still interested in help!

A few things I can already see right off the bat:

• Liability is #1. The event needs to be insured in some way. Liability waivers are a start, but there’s no way something won’t go wrong, and even if you make everybody sign liability release from death or bodily injury waivers, there’s no guarantee the organizers won’t be held responsible in some way if something catastrophic happens. Hopefully nothing happens, but hope isn’t legally binding.
  • The Alameda County Fairgrounds is way too large a venue for an esk8 event. It’s just not realistic. There are probably only a couple hundred esk8 “vendors” in the world, no more than 50% are going to even consider coming, and much fewer than that are going to actually end up coming. I would go as far as to estimate that only 30-40 vendors max will end up showing, and that’s assuming the event gains enormous traction.
  • Considering this is a very grassroots event, the timeline is way too tight. I think it would be a stretch for a localized state event, but for a global event that needs advertising and other budgeting, a planning committee, space renting, big finances involved, and countless moving pieces, starting to organize an independent global convention now and planning to have it take place in essentially four months is unrealistic. The event has a better chance tagging onto another semi-related event. I believe personally the more realistic route to take is to be a part of San Diego Comic Con. There might be some overlap between attendees, people originally going to SDCC could join, and people who’re coming to the esk8 portion would be able to do tons more things besides just esk8. It’s really a win win.

I have more thoughts about this whole thing in general, but people actually want me to keep blabbing :slight_smile: Just as somebody who’s been involved in lower level planning of semi big events in the fighting video games scene, these are some of my observations…

13 Likes

Precisely this. Pretty much everyone on the Discord is in agreement that the only way for this esk8 event to gain traction is to join a pre-existing convention. Preferably one with a geeky demographic, who are presumably very receptive of the concept of electric skateboards.

3 Likes

This is exactly the reason why Vegas would’ve been awesome

7 Likes

The venue holds numerous events at the same time it is so large, we wouldn’t be using all of it, just a hall or two, or a building near the front. I have gained the contact info of a key person in charge of booking them and gave it to @anorak234 already…

2 Likes

The big question is: are these events sectioned off (where event-goers have to buy the respective for each con) or is everything mixed together into one big event?

esk8con + CES

CES 2019 Jan 8 - 11, Vegas

That depends, it’s a fairly open fairgrounds, but is so large that events can be up to a mile apart, lol I have seen crafts shows go on in a hall while they were racing cars on the parking lot or having a model train convention too…there’s different entrances for each area, but if you really want to walk over and check out the knitting, I don’t think anyone would stop you.

@squishy654 @PredatorBoards

Here’s the entire area:

Here’s the area we’d use (bc it has the paved lot and it’s easy to get tents set up on the grass)

And for off-road competition, we can use many of the open fields and dirt paths right next door at the Patelco park for free

3 Likes

@sofu and others here have brought up some excellent points and I would like to offer some thoughts on what a 2018 ESK8CON should look like conceptually.

sSk8.builders is a community of enthusiasts that are driven by the joy of exploring where such a vehicle can take them. This segment is in its infancy and many of the people here will go on to make great contributions in build technology, electronic’s, battery life and power modulation, deck technology, truck design, soft goods, safety equipment as well as developing high performance riding techniques.

All of us have something to offer and to separate us into two categories Vendor / Attendee is not doing either category justice. I am interested to attend to learn as well as help, not to sell so I suggest we organize this as a conference, not a trade show but a place where we all come together as equals to share our respective experience to shape the future.

All we need to do this are public places to meet, greet and eat. We won’t need insurance, a rented venue or any of the countless details and expenses that a traditional Convention demands!

14 Likes

Well said. Keep it simple and grow it into something that isn’t.

4 Likes

Church!

listen up people

2 Likes

This right here is golden advice.

2 Likes

I think the question that you raise, then, would be if this will be a con for esk8 builders specifically as you seem to imply, or all eskaters.

If the latter, there are other groups to consider, for example, people who buy them and ride them, instead of building them, in which case they’re going to want to be able to meet and greet the vendors of the boards themselves as they’re as of now typically actual companies.

I personally agree very much that we’re still at the very beginning of a grassroots movement. I do think there’s a want for medium scale gatherings as evident from the amount of people who attended the meet & ride event I put on. I don’t think we want to do a global convention right now considering we already missed the golden period for cheap air tickets and have set the date too soon. I don’t think many people will be willing to travel for a global esk8 convention right now. I don’t think we need to rent out anything at all, but should instead do informal regional gatherings until the gatherings physically can’t support the amount of people anymore.

My earlier comments were more for if we do decide to go the convention route, and even there I have many concerns… So I do agree with you @Alphamail 100%, and would even extend your sentiments to include the parts of the community that are not on esk8.builders :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t see that implication, in fact…

I think its a bad idea to turn this into a esk8 convention. It’s already been done on multiple fronts, Evolve has it locked up. What we need is a esk8 builders convention.

3 Likes

Most definitely agreed.

This is simply for purposes of planning how big of an area we need for tents and items, of course everybody is treated as equals.

I’m going to have to disagree on that. Insurance is always a good idea, a rented venue ensures that we don’t get angry people trying to kick us out, and the idea of having an official Esk8con is something that I love. If other’s don’t feel the same way, I can stop looking for venues to rent. That being said, I just spent the last 4 hours exploring possible venues and came up with some pretty good results. Video will be up later today explaining my thoughts and providing enough information so that everyone can form their own opinion.

I’d love to have it “esk8 builders only”, but at the same time we can get a lot more attention if we expand to include everyone. As it is, I’m considering asking a few established esk8 companies (I have some potential connections) to help fund the venue. That means food trucks, security, helping with energy usage and rent, etc.

Overall: I’d ask everyone to wait on making final decisions, considering I’ll have a video out later today with much more information. Thanks!

4 Likes

But not on a community front. We have a few gathers up (NYC & BAESK8) but nothing meant to draw the entire international community by the community. If this event is only for ESK8 Builders, then you’ve cut down a good amount of people, even if you say anyone can come. And while the builders forums are plentiful , it is in no way the majority or even big enough to justify spending money to reserve fields/places to ride, equipment, insurance fees, etc. Both the pre-built and DIY community are built on one another , with one another, and progress when the other makes progress. To not turn this into a ESK8 convention and only a builders convention is insane to me

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s the attention you want, but I wont argue the point. You are at risk of losing the audience you/we want if you get 100 prebuilt vendors and 3 diy vendors. I’m not trying to start anything, I just didn’t think that was the purpose of this thing.

2 Likes