20V output on 12S3P battery

So I did the test and i guess it works if you know the AH and limit the battery amps safely.

1 Like

I’ll just set to 9.0 aH. I bet they kept it the same specs. Maybe it’s technically 9.6, but as long as it doesn’t damage components I don’t really care.

Do you know of any good resources that explains “Motor Max Current”, “Motor Current Max Brake”, “Absolute Maximum Current”, etc. Basically everything on the “Motor Settings/Current” tab. I’d like to have a good understanding in stead of having to ask.

You can look it up from here or in the other forum, but im gonna help you skip all that. You only need this:

In short, it’s basically the max a motor can take. You do not need to change absolute max. All you need is the motor max, and motor brake.

Motor max is your “rpm”. The higher, the faster the rpm. But going above the max amp the motors can take, and you’ll no longer have the speed, but heat. Do not go above recommend. You can however, set it as max, in other words, if your motors says 65A recommended, you can go 70A.

Motor brake current is how strong your brakes will hit at lower current. If you hit your max rpm, your regen (battery regen) will start first. Then after you get low enough, the motor brake will hit. This usually would be your hard brake.

What you really need to focus is the battery max and regen current.

Battery max is basically how much amps you can pull out from the battery to the esc. This has to be divided by 2 for dual motors.

Regen current helps you brake at higher speed. This is your first brake startup. Your motor brake hits after. Just note that you should not brake at max battery. This is basically your recharge. The higher it is, the harder the brakes. But, you will have to lower the battery charge before braking.

Saved you hours of research in less than 2 minutes.

1 Like

You are an encyclopedia man. :muscle:

Definitely making more sense now. Thank you for clarifying. Going to configure this now and do some testing hopefully.

I had this set to 23A per motor for last config. How high you think I can put max amperage at?

60A if they’re 5055 motors. These are each side.

+80 if they’re 6374.

40A for hubs.

But battery, since you don’t know what it is, put 20A for safety each side. The regen can be the same or less if the brakes are too strong.

1 Like

This look OK?

Put 20A -20Afor battery. If you look at the bottom left, you’ll see a “local” and “can” square. You need to do the same on the other end.

The motor brake can go higher, matching the motor max, but its up to you.

This little square.

If done, they both should be 60A, -40A or more and 20A -20A both side.

This good? I’ll click “write app configuration” to both “local” and “82”.

1 Like

Yes. Write to both after changing. Afterwards, have a test ride.

1 Like

Success!!!

Thanks again good sir. o7

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Thanks for the cheers.

I gotta get mine set as well.

1 Like

Onsra got back to me. These are “LGMJ1 18650 3500mah”.

So I changed the amp hours on each VESC motor config to 10.5aH. That’s a nice little range boost.

I noticed I didn’t run the motor config on the other “vesc” or canbus. Would this cause damage to any components if the motors had different configs?

Also, what can I change the “battery current max” and “battery current max regen” to in terms of max amps?

Yes. Do make sure both sides of the esc are the same. You don’t one to blow up, costing you $250. You can easily do it on one side by using this box in vesc tool:

I’ll edit this post after i see the battery. Do check in after a few.

1 Like

Here you go:

So it would be battery current max 15A per side and regen -15A for brake each side.

Regen can go a bit higher for braking.

Off topic: why the crud does this battery app not have a dark mode…

@me if necessary. Im gonna rest my mind for the moment.

1 Like