270kv motors enough for hills?

I ordered this as my motor and trucks for a budget board I will be running it with a 4.2 vesc on 10s I did not realize that it was a 270 kv motor until it arrived and I live in a generally hilly area I’m a complete stick and only weigh 120 will this be able to handle hills or should I return it and if so what should I get in it’s place for motors trucks and wheels I’m trying to keep it under 200 thanks

2 Likes

Welcome to the ESK8 forum, Erominef.

Motor Kv ratings are a speed rating in RPM only. It doesnt tell you how much torque a motor can produce. If you gave that motor 1 volt at full throttle it would spin at 270 RPM under no load. Recommend looking around for reviews before returning that.

1 Like

I guess I forgot to mention I come from the rc community and typically lower kv=more torque higher kv=more speed but less torque I assumed it would be the same for boards I tried to find some reviews was not very successful though thanks for the help

2 Likes

Woah, not so fast. I found a good motor comparison.

Btw hi there, fellow Rc’er. I’m a refugee here as well. Fleeing from FAA tyranny. Sadly my helis are now wall art. I’m planning to flee to Nicaragua or somewhere where the government will let me play with my flying toys without any hassle. :rofl:

Skip to the 5:50 mark if you’re ADHD or something.

1 Like

So maybe I should return it (coming from cars not drones though I do have a phantom 4) as that was on flat ground but you have to think about going up a hill I assume you would need a good amount of torque

1 Like

This guy says his 5065s are decent up hills but not great with 85 or 90mm but they dont handle 105s very well. Hard to tell from his vids but he looks about 160lbs or so.

1 Like

what’s annoying is to return it it has to be unopened so I cannot test it and decide would be perfect if it was really flat the thing is there are not a ton of hills in a like 15 mile radius prob about 5 that are more then 20 but 2 of those I need to be able to get up fast as they are on main roads but if I was to return them what would I put in their place looking to keep the build under 500 I purchased a vesc and remote for 200 what should I get if I return the motors

1 Like

Honestly I’m not sure. I would binge watch review videos and see what other people are doing. I keep seeing good reviews on 6354 and 6374 motors with low KVs but I have no experience with them. Also not sure whats going to be compatible with your deck and esc.

I’ve had that exact same package(I’m 155lbs), 120lbs you should be ok with small to medium hills, but take into consideration that these are sensorless motors and they’re of questionable quality even by Chinese standards. as a budget board, it shouldn’t be that big of an issue though, if you can deal with the cogging at startup and some occasional overheating. I’ve seen those trucks on alibaba and taobao mostly paired with a lingyi esc.

1 Like

Hey Vodkaman, welcome to the ESK8 forum.

Ugh, sensorless? On an electric skateboard??

Send em back. Just my amateur opinion of course.

in that case any recommendations on a 190kv setup as id hate to keep em and only to find out that they can’t go up the main hill that I need it to (300ft long prob about a 20-25 incline)

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with sensorless on an esk8.

However, I would cringe at the 270Kv rating.

I would send them back if it’s possible. 180Kv to 210Kv will be your friend at 10S.

2 Likes

I know what you are going to say, but… I run a pair of 6368 280kv on 10s4p with focbox’s, 20t/36t with tb 97mm. It is fast, hills no problem. I weigh 190 american pounds. Sensor less also, cause you know, fuck those little wires.

1 Like

Fast is an understatement. At full throttle, that’d be somewhere around 57.3mph / 92.2km/h. You’re probably losing torque and range by having a Kv that high, but I’m glad it works for you. If you switched to 15T motor pulleys you could probably get an easy 25% more torque and a little bit more range as well.

2 Likes

Yea this is the board I hit my PR on then hit my knees and thanked god I lived. Fun times.

1 Like

The gear ratio that’s on there is 12 to 35 so just under 1/3 and the wheels are only 83mm I’m kind of leaning on returning them but not sure

1 Like

Keep em. Buy another set.

1 Like

I’m 16 and don’t exactly have the cash lying around to throw 160 in the hole if I’m going to buy another set I’m going to return these

1 Like

Hold your parents hostage.

1 Like

Bruh :joy: not a great idea but ya know I have about 500 to 600 to build a board (I want to build it not buy one) say I return this I already purchased a vesc and remote for a total of 200 what should I get now

1 Like