$360 Budget Steel Frame 6S Li-Ion BMS Build

A blistering 25km/h haha.

I have a relatively steep hill on the way to work which is why I geared it to go up hill. I’m running 15T motor and 40T wheel. I might try to get a little more top speed by going to 36T wheel. It feels a little slow, but where I ride it is a lot of stop and go, so top speed doesn’t matter too much I guess…

Very creative idea with the frame!! LOVE IT!!! :+1:

@johnny_261 Did you modify the wheels, or did they already have spokes? I’m about to (slowly) build my first board, and am thinking to simply modify my current longboard wheels to save money :slight_smile:

They are flywheels, so already have 6 slots that you can put a bolt through. So I just matched the pulley up to the wheel and drilled three holes through the pulley, then put the bolts through the slots in the wheels.

Probably would be pretty easy to modify wheels though if there is something solid to drill through.

Are the 26650 batteries like 18650 cells? Also I suppose that the breaker switch is the on/off switch? As per your motor choice, may I ask why that brand vs turnigy sk3 192kv (i know price is a main difference).

26650 are like 18650 cells except bigger (higher capacity generally). The Basen cells are 4500 mah. 18650 are usually like 2500 - 3000 mah. Yes, I use the break as the on off switch.

Price is exactly it. The motor was cheapest 190kv I could possibly find. Probably have 150km on it now. Working good so far, but who knows how this would compare to a sk3 in the long run.

1 Like

Hi there! How is your BMS and charger holding up? If I’m intending on getting 4x 3S Zippy 5000mAh batteries and connect them as 6s2p, would the BMS and charger work? Thanks in advance.

Everything is still working good! Yes, it should work with that setup if you wire your lipos together correctly.

Where did you get those bassen batteries from?

Got them from @Namasaki, but they sell them at https://liionwholesale.com/ which is probably the best place to get them.

Although more expensive, for a 6s setup, you will be better off with 6s4p with 18650’s as you will get less voltage sag. I had to “gear” this setup for lower speed so that I don’t sag as much up the hills.

Thanks alot for the swift response. :smile:

Hey, I’m curious how this build is working out for you after a few months of use. This is my first post and I’m lookin to build something similar - low budget, long distance, low top speed, reliable, these are my requirements. I don’t really care about specs or upgrading later, I just want something to ride around on in the summer at the beach and I may try to replicate this build exactly if it’s been working. I do enjoy building stuff but I’m not too interested in spending a lot of mental power figuring out all of the technicalities and intricacies of this stuff so if I can just straight up copy your build and be good for the summer then that works for me!

It’s still going strong. I’ve been using it consistently, but it’s mostly short errands so not a lot of KMs. I did burn through an ESC I believe. I had a backup one so I just swapped it out and haven’t really figured if the other one is dead or not.

I would probably got to a 6s3p at a minimum due to the voltage sag. I’m pretty light, but still have to monitor my voltage as I go up hills to make sure I don’t trip the cut-off. It can go up hills fine, but not at full tilt.

Also BMS discharge died, so I just bypassed that and use BMS for charging only now.