36V 10S Electric Skateboard Battery | SPACE CELL

I don’t see any specs regarding the capacity expressed in mAh, on enertion webpage, any idea? Also Ive noticed that is a 10S, would it work with an ESC rated to max 8S with a 6364 245kv ourunner motor, or is it just meant for a 10s rated ESC?

yep, I wouldn’t recommend taking it apart thought unless you are completely sure you know what you are doing…

it does come with the voltage display, on off switch, and bms for easy charging though.

If there is enough interest, maybe I’ll make another thread showing its guts, and how it take it apart; Onloop walked me through it like I said when my space cell wasn’t working, but we got it all sorted out.

Don’t use it with an 8s esc; it’d be a really bad idea… plus, for 10s voltage, 245kv is kinda high. with 190kv and the esc limited to 80% power, I’m getting close to 23-24mph on 15/36 gearing 83mm wheels.

your esc would puff out the mystical white smoke that @longhairedboy is all to familiar with, lol

1 Like

ohhhhh sh#@ thanks for the heads up…!!! it wouldn’t be a bad idea posting some step by step pictures how to, I guess there are more ppl out there interested on that matter. btw do you have any suggestions for a decent, not outrageously expensive esc 10S rated???

vesc or torqueboard’s esc are you two main options-

Vesc is a little more complicated to set up, but is cheaper and works better with the space cell. It you use torqueboard’s esc with the space cell, you have to limit it to 80% or else you will blow the fuse on the battery.

But let’s not hijack this thread- so if yo have any other other questions, I’d start a new thread (only after you’ve used the search bar to try to and answer your question first)

1 Like

Got you!!! sorry didnt mean to break the rules

haha you’re all good! Sorry if I came off as being harsh or short with you- no harm intended :grinning:

the general idea with the space cell is that is already built for you so you don’t have to mess around with mounting stuff, soldering, shrink tubing & designing panel mounts for the various i/o… so if your intention is to pull it apart anyway you nearly could just buy the parts separately and build it the way you want it to be.

ALSO NOTE, i’m probably not going to offer much warranty if you do pull it apart.

3 Likes

I totally understand, my was just an idea in order to maximize space in the enclosure and just to get the charging port on a safer spot since my build would have the pack right at the bottom of the deck, didn’t mean to minimize the great concept of the SPACE… :sweat_smile: ALSO I just realize you are the guy running ENERTION lol

hahahaa dont worry I didn’t take it that way at all, u r good!!! Thanks for all the explanations, Im kind of new on this and i know sometime i ask too many questions lol

It’s 7500 mAh. Current capacity (mAh) * V = energy capacity (Wh). So for the space cell, I took the 270 Wh and divided by the 36 V nominal voltage for a 10s system. You may already know the following, but it might be helpful for other people trying to figure out the whole battery angle, as well.

Energy capacity is what you really care about, in terms of how far you can travel with a given battery. 5,000 mAh at 6S is not as much energy as 5,000 mAh at 10S.

You can think of current as the amount of water flowing over a waterfall, and voltage would be the height of the waterfall. Both are relevant to how much (gravitational potential) energy can be converted to electrical energy by a hydroelectric generator, for example. The SI unit for energy is the Joule. Units of power is the Watt (= Joule/sec. a 100W light bulb uses 100 Joules of energy per second). So 270 Wh tells us how much energy is actually stored in the battery. The current capacity (mAh) tells us how long the battery can supply a given current (i.e. 5 amps for 1 hour = 5,000 mA*h), but if it can only supply that current at 3.7 volts, it’s not going to be able to do much work. The voltage of the battery system indicates how hard the electrons in the battery can be pushed through your components, creating the magnetic fields, etc, that turn the motors and propel you.

Anyway, to compare apples to apples, across different battery setups, Wh is best.

1 Like

good explanation and the analogy makes it even clearer, I was about to come out with a similar question. So a 10S battery would be more suitable for a dual drive or a single one if lots of torque is required?

Yes, and not only that, but due to other electrical properties, the system actually operates more efficiently at higher voltages (This is why long distance power lines are high voltage - less energy loss in the lines), so you get more work out of that stored energy and less heat generated. What the actual difference in efficiency is, I don’t know, but it’s a move in the right direction, anyway.

makes sense…thanks for clarifying

I should say that it is important to choose the motor and battery together to achieve the top speed you want with your gearing and have good torque. A 6S battery will require a higher KV rated motor than a 10S to get the same top speed. These might be useful: http://vedder.se/2014/10/chosing-the-right-bldc-motor-and-battery-setup-for-an-electric-skateboard

awesome blog, I wish I had that 2 month ago, it would had saved me lots of time and money, and of course less headaches lol

So how did you guys mount your space cell that are using regular decks? I will have to drill holes on the bottom of the enclosure for charging port and on off switch but nothing some rubber grommets won’t fix. I was also think of just some clear plastic glued on for the display on the bottom.