A few problems with my first build

Hello electric skateboard builders! I have recently finished my very first esk8 build and have now taken it out for a few runs, however I am running into a couple of problems.

The first problem i’d like to address is the acceleration from a full stop. I have noticed that my (dual) motors (sk3 260kv brushless-outrunners) jutter or stall when i try to slowly accelerate from a complete stop. I am not sure weather this is due to the (kv) of the motors being too high or something to do with my vesc settings. Heres a video

The second problem i have noticed is that whenever i connect the circuit in the board to turn it on, a blinding spark goes off. this is kind of discomforting, and i was wondering what could be causing the problem and if there are any solutions. Here is a video My hypothesis is that the voltage stored at the end of the connector is built up and when the connection is made, such a small surface area is initially touching, the electricity has nowhere else to go but out. using a volt meter i noticed that the energy at the connection is something like 30V and maybe it is because of the large amount of energy? I have no clue, this is my first time doing this…

Here is a picture of my circuit diagram and the actual circuit

On the bright side, i have achieved a top speed somewhere between 35 and 40km/h, and got a time of roughly 61 seconds for a full lap of a 400 meter track.

Specs and Parts: 2x sk3 260kv brushless outrunners 2x vesc v4.12 2x Zippy 8000mah 4S 30C Li-Po’s (in series for 8S)

Loaded Vanguard Flex 1 Orangatang Kegels (orange) Calliber II Trucks 2x Alien powers systems Drive kit

1 Like

For your spark, I think you need to get a Vedder anti-spark kit

Hey @JoJo nice build! For your first problem with the stuttering, I’m not sure about because I don’t have a geared setup, I have hub motors, but it might be do to your VESC settings. But your second problem is due to the capacitor banks on the VESC’s. When you first plug it in there will be a large spark because it’s drawing an immense amount of current but for an insanely short period of time. Like @wmj259 said you could use a Vedder Switch witch would solve your problem. You could also you XT90 connectors witch I guess have some sort of resistor inside of it to slowly charge the capacitors and prevent that initial spark. You could also take a look at my MOSFET switch thread were I have schematics on how to build yourself a switch as well.

1 Like

Or you could use a xt90 anti spark plug. Anyway, the benefit of an anti spark switch is that you can use a good looking switch maybe even with a led (ring) to power your board. The spark is basically the result of the requested charge current for the capacitors of your vescs

EDIT: @JdogAwesome was faster :grin:

1 Like

This is what @goldenHusky means by an LED switch. And I guess I’m just a speed demon lol.

:smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp:

The stuttering or cogging is a side effect of using BLDC, to prevent that kick off before you apply the throttle. Another option is to use FOC, though I wouldn’t recommend without some research, since some people have had the DRV blowout on there VESC.

Awesome! thanks for your suggestions! I’ll check it out

Is there a way to fix this? i dont really want to mess with FOC since this is my first time trying

Do you know where i could get my hands on one of these?

@JoJo this one of the cheapest out there: about 2,50€ including shipping worldwide http://www.ebay.at/itm/16mm-12V-Car-Silver-Aluminum-LED-Power-Push-Button-Switch-Schalter-Latching-Heis-/191574665101?var=&hash=item2c9abd678d:m:maKEA89oJj02O53FBczkJ0g

You can get a nice one on Amazon Prime, it has a socket as well which makes installing it way easier. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZR7MMXO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_U9MEybC6F1CDJ

Let me just start out by saying that I am not 100% sure that what I know is correct but I’m going to give my 2 cents anyway. I completely agree with what @mortorojo said about preventing the cogging with a push start then hitting the throttle. The cogging could also be because you are using unsensored motors. These will often give a rough startup with a lot of cogging from a complete stop. I believe that sensored motors give a much smother start from a dead stop. That is just my opinion but as I said before, I could be wrong

Does it include the circuit board like the one posted by JdogAwesome? Or its it the switch itself? Earlier I tried to use a 5-10v “garden bender” switch but I think it fried.

Both @JdogAwesome and my link only provide the switch itself. This switch is intended for use with an anti spark switch (pcb).

Great idea. I’ll be sure to push start. Do you know there I could find some sensored motors for around the same price point as the ones I currently have as a future upgrade?

Yeah pretty much any conventional switch you find your going to kill because of the amount of current these boards draw, really your only option when it comes to EBoard switches are either MOSFETs or XT90’s.

You don’t need sensored motors, most people don’t use them because the sensors break or cause other problems, any board you find pretty much is going to have cogging problems at the start, that’s just how brushless motors work. And they can also cause problems at high speeds because the hall sensors can’t reset fast enough. And sensored motors are a lot more expensive as well as very hard to find.

That’s good to know about the switches, I was just about to go buy another one :joy: About the motors, just a small push at the start is all I need to fix the cogging?

Could you possibly share a link to where I could purchase a PCB or vedder switch?