A few problems with my first build

Yes, as long as the board is moving you should be all set.

@JoJo Well…lol… I have some switches and pcb lying next to me up for sale You can check out my sales thread here http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vedder-anti-spark-switches-for-sale/15639

Since you are in Canada, you could also order one from ollinboardcompany.com which is based in the US

I do sell my switches normally, but I’m currently out of the country so I would go with @goldenHusky offer for the Vedder switch.

Awesome! I’ll check it out!

hey man are you still looking for a way to fix the cogging?

I have a way to fix that if your still interested

For sure! What’s your suggestion?

Im pretty sure using sensored motors would also help, it is normal, happens on my setup aswell, try pushing to start :slight_smile:

I had the same issue as i just built a board myself and i too was testing yesterday. After hours of searching on youtube about a shakey start here is what fixed it for me.

1. Go into bldc tool
  2. go to “motor configuration” tab
  3. make sure you have “bldc” motor type checked
  4. on the side tabs in motor config go into “advanced”
  5. in the “advanced” tab there should be a section called “Current control”
  6. in “current control” there is something called “startup boost” I think the default is 0.010

startup boost acts like a clutch on a car, the lower the value on startup boost the longer it takes for the eboard to get going

1. I found that by changing my value to 0.060 it fixed the problem and there are no shakey starts anymore!

(I would recommend not going over 0.1 and your sweet spot, based on your gear ratio, batteries and motor, should be around 0.030 to 0.090

Let me know if this helps!

2 Likes

I Know that I’m late to the party…

You will get the same result (even worst) in FOC if your not sensor, the cogging is cause by the motor trying to find is position, or not enough current on the start…

Best way to avoid any cogging is to give a push or use sensor motor.

Awesome! I’ll try this out tomorrow and tell ya how it goes

The only thing that will fix cogging is using a sensored setup. Then sensored FOC is a whole new experience. The spark can be fixed using xt90s plugs in a loopkey or a soft switch such as a vedder switch.

1 Like

did you test the new settings? did it work?

Unfortunately not today some other things came up. I will check it out some time this week and will let ya know!

sweet man!

It worked! I did what you suggested in the BLDC tool and changed the startup boost value to 0.060 and while it is not completely gone, cogging off a start has been reduced. Thank you!

Hey Jdog. Interesting thoughts on sensored motors. I’ve been experiencing a sudden grab when I brake. It happens infrequently, but it’s scary. Do you think it could be the sensors malfunctioning? What causes sensors to malfunction? Thanks for any insights.