A safe build/DB Lunchtray/"Jacob trucks"/Jacob hub Motors/ Enertion VESCs/Space cell/lipo flat pack

@chaka has the right Canbus connector in his store.

Anyway …I think that’s gonna be a really nice build !! Great choice of DB Lunchtray and with Jacob hubs it’s going to look awesome. Are you going to sand all the graphics from the bottom and paint it black ? It can look really cool with space cell pro case. It’s going to be a sweet board!

I literally bought black paint last night, asked jacob for black wheels and trucks so it all blends in! Thanks for the great tip! I already ordered the ones from ebay but it might be safer to go by one from the man himself. If the vescs are protected within the space cell enclosure, is wrapping them in heatshrink still recommended? would be good to know while i’m ordering from the website

Yes, heat-shrinking them also helps to prevent shorts, and keeps the VESC clean from any debris or particulates that enter the enclosure.

Thanks @treenutter, I’ll pick up a couple from chaka then. so I take it two vsescs can plug into a single xt60 connector on a space cell?

Just finished a talk with the engineer who was only supposed to help me with wiring the li ion batteries together. He told me that it would be a shame to put the discretion and potential weight of a board saved of the hub motors to waste by adding a space cell to my deck. He recommended putting a 10s3p pack of 18650 cells and a bms into my backpack, with a thick enough lead to eliminate resistance running from my backpack down my leg into a quick release version of the xt60. This plug would poke through a hole drilled through my deck. Oh the bottom of my deck, dual, canbus connected vescs and a reviever would sit semi flush mounted on the bottom of my deck, connecting to the hub motors and the xt60 equivalent plug. Anyone see any immediate warning lights flashing? The engineer who suggested this said this build would be well within his comfort zone and he’d be willing to help me when I’m stuck, and will router the board so the vescs sit flush. ive attached a sketchup of what i mean for clarity.

How does moving the battery to your backpack help? The board will still have the same load and it just leaves you with a wire to get tangled with. And when you finish riding your board to class or something then you have to carry the battery and you will have less space.

Doesn’t sound the best

2 Likes

Whaaat ? Dude this engineer is insane. Battery in a backpack ? Good luck when you hit something and you get catapulted. Besides that …what if your backpack catches on fire for whetever reason ?? you wanna be human torch bro ? :wink: To be honest …if I were in your place I would just order SpaceCellPro4 in that slick black case that Onloop created…add your black hub motors and you are going to have a beautiful board. Please don’t ruin such a great build with some wacky ideas.

2 Likes

lol, that will be unpractical. I suggest you to put the pack under the board, maybe you can build a very flat large pack if you want to maximize the stealthyness… just paint everything black / dark color, hide the motor cables and you will be fine, people barely notice the difference at least here in London, UK, with one or two well-timed pushes and low acceleration when travelling in crowded places I don’t think anybody will notice.

Ok, ok jeez this was only an little idea, I appreciate your opinions. I was especially Concerned with tripping up over the wire or maybe catching fire. This isn’t even the craziest idea. He also said I should get a metal plate on the board and my shoes and one shoe being positive and one negative… But yeah as soon as I lift a foot I would lose power Yay…

the shoe idea is pretty cool though :stuck_out_tongue: but again, impractical. You’d need special shoes and do you really see yourself fitting a wire through your pants, putting on special shoes and using a special backpack for that quick ride to the supermarket?

Having everything on the board will increase the possibility of you using the board. And isn’t that what we want the most :p?

“one shoe positive and one negative” – dude …I really appreciate help of your engineer, but come on …that’s INSANITY LEVEL HARD

And if your main priority is stealth and making it not look like an electric skateboard, I think the most practical solution for that would be to hide everythin ON the board in like a toolbox, people would just think you’re transporting something.

If practicality is main priority, just mount everything underneath, depending on the time and effort you put into it you can certainly achieve some stealthy looks

If anyone can think of a concept that incorporates the benefits of both into one design feel free to mention it, just for consideration. I made myself look like a twat so no idea is too bad I guess… To clarify I’m happy with the regular space cell, just having a brainstorm

Maybe like a pressure pad placed on the board as a safety/killswitch

1 Like

I feel that I can try make everything as flush mounted to the deck as possible by routing mounting areas for everything so the space cell enclosure would protrude as little as possible, and wrap the whole thing In vinyl or something to make it look smooth… Better?

Jep that sounds like the best solution. Make sure you still keep the strength of your board. And even if something sticks out from the bottom, you can still make a very tapered cover that covers the entire board. There are some pretty thick longboard out there, so a tapered cover won’t catch attention

Yes, you can connect both Vesc to a single battery pack, you just need a y cable to connect both.

Anyone know if Enertion vescs come with heatshrink? dont wanna bother them with a “non-urgent” question. If not I am looking for wide enough heat shrink tubing. Does anyone know how wide I would need the tubing to be? my best guess was 80mm that shrinks to half it’s size. Thanks!

They used to. Not sure if they still do.