A theory on hill-climbing: MASSIVE 12s LIPO's, FOC, dual 6374, and the c-word

Maiden voyage on 12s FOC!! Nearly 1KWh😈

1 Like

Went out for a “midnight” (2am) run last night for some stress testing. Charged to 3.85 Volts/cell, the 12S config just RIPS. Like holy-f*ck it’s unreal. I can’t even top it out because it’s too scary lol.

Initially, it appears that at the higher voltage, I draw 5 or 6 less batt Amps per vesc on the same 20%incline run (Hill st. San Diego). Makes sense though, now that I think about it. Same Watts at higher volts = less current. Pretty interesting.

The sweetest thing about the AS150 connectors, which I use for all battery side connections, is the modularity of the pack. Takes about 5min to go 8s to 12s or back to 8 (not sure I’ll ever go back tho).

The thing is up to 31lbs now, HAHAHA

2 Likes

How many batt amps are you pulling per ESC on that hill climb?

This data is on a per-motor config, so double the amps for the actual number

That was last night on 12S Here’s some data from 8S on the same hill IIRC

1 Like

So i have some data. Dual 6374 190kv 18/36 on 107mm. Batteries are 8ah 25-50c on 12s. I did have some voltage sag towards the end at top speed but I guess one important thing to note while climbing this hill was the temps which were increasing quick. It’s dual FOCBOX mounted on an aluminum plate with heat transfer paste not enclosed yet so exposed to the wind. For sure your batteries can handle the amps but the ESC will be your limiting factor I think. Data is per FocBox. Currently speed wobbles is the limiting factor.

1 Like

Update: I did something really negligent a couple weeks ago. I left my board powered on for a day or two, and went out for a hard ride without checking my battery voltage. Started hitting my battery cutoff about a mile away from home, and when I got back I had 2 cells at about 2.86 volts. After freaking out for a few minutes I got my s*** together, and attempted to balance them back to good standing. At first I was having trouble balancing them, but they’re actually back in line with each other. I thought I had ruined about $1,200 worth of batteries, but for now they seem okay.

Additionally, I decided to transplant all of the mechanical and electrical items on to another deck which was donated to me by @Namasaki . The flat deck, vs the drop deck that I was using seems to accommodate this gigantic 12s configuration fairly well while the other deck is in the shop for an overhaul.

All at the same time, I have ventured into experimenting with vacuum resin infusion. My goal is to make brackets to hold the batteries to the deck so I can get rid of these straps. It is my hope that the carbon fiber brackets will prove strong enough to prevent the vibration that these huge batteries create when I hit large bumps. Photos to follow

6 Likes

The Beast!

1 Like

Beast is an understatement!

2 Likes

You are so right! I have seen this board in action and it was a beast at 8s.

So how about Mega Beast!

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!!

This thing is definitely radical, yet it behaves as if it were an extension of my soul. I still haven’t been anywhere near full speed, it’s just too scary. When I switch back to the drop deck it will be more stable at speed.

4 Likes

Update time!!! After spending a lot of time and money on my recent side project (carbon fiber infusion), I am once again at a happy resting place in my build!

As you may know, I have some pretty heavy batteries. Until recently, they were mounted on the deck with some Velcro straps. The straps were never going to be capable of truly securing the packs, but they worked. They did however interfere with my foot placement, so I set out to eliminate them. The only thing that seemed strong enough to support the batteries was carbon fiber.

After numerous (like 12) failed attempts at the resin infusion process, I got it right!

After some trimming and drilling, I have support!!

The ride quality is completely different without the batteries bouncing against the deck (lol). Just feels so much more solid.

Also, I finally decided to shell out the cash for a set of the F1 107’s. I’m speechless. So big, so beautiful, so good. I just drive over everything, not a care in the world.

I’m waiting for @JLabs to provide his 44t pulley in a 15mm width too. Not that I need anymore torque, but I do want more :sunglasses:. I can’t wait (ahem)

Cheers everyone!

1 Like

I have been 3d printing small extensions for the pulleys to convert them to 15mm. Your only talking about 3mm of plastic material, and the people running them have had good things to say so far.

PM me if interested

3 Likes

So stoked on this new Surf Rodz 45° RKP!! Thanks again @Deckoz , I just can’t get over the feelz! The carvs are so tight and sexy.

6 Likes

Nice man! Glad you’re enjoying it man :), but yeah it’s nice when you have a precision front truck. No truck walk is something you can’t unfeel after you feel it. :wink:

2 Likes

How would you compare these to cast ronin’s?

Haven’t had a chance skate ronins, but @whitepony seems to like them! I can say, compared to the tb218, this sf truck has completely changed the ride experience.

2 Likes

I wan to try ride some ronins but damn they’re spensive. :neutral_face:

You can get the new cast 160mm ronins 42.5 degree/2.5mm rake now for $125 a set with 32.5 degree base plates coming mid summer… These have the same open bushing dish as the billet katanas. Or if you want the old 180mm, it looks like @chaka from Ollin still has them packaged with his motor mounts.

1 Like

@deucesdown I just bought a Wayne Giles esr meter!! After some thought, I caved in. Since the packs I’m running are probably at around 50 cycles now, I just gotta know how they’re holding up.

I’ve been running these batteries between 4.1v/c max. and 3.6v/c min. for about a year (except for that one fateful night). The drift across that range is around +/- 0.2 volts per cell, with most of the cells inline. Very excited to see the actual IR values after a year of use!! Should have the unit by next Friday :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s kinda crazy what a truck will do… Don’t even need a full set. Trust me I’m in love too. Lol

1 Like