"A Treatise on Belt Sizes," Or "Is HTD3M Really All That Bad?" Or "Some Thoughts on Belts"

just run metro pulleys with a smaller motor pulley @b264

standard 12 or 15mm ratios 16/36 - 2.25:1 16/40 - 2.5:1 CANNOT USE ON 83mm wheels 16/44 - 2.75:1 CANNOT USE ON 83 or 90MM wheels 16/48 - 3:1 97mm or 107mm only

20mm belts on 36T metroboard, with any size flywheel… and no belt skip 16/36 - 2.25:1 15/36 - 2.4:1 14/36 - 2.57:1 13/36 - 2.77:1 12/36 - 3:1

3 Likes

That’s the whole fkn problem is that I refuse to use less than 15 teeth

So I need bigger wheel pullies because I only use 107mm wheels (and one set of 100mm)

1 Like

Yea I refuse to use less than 15teeth on small belts too… but my 250lb buddy couldn’t make 12t on 20mm belts skip Soo… It kind of negates itself with friction

3 Likes

You agree with me or with that it’s more of a toy?

Because you pretty much summarized what I feel. It’s just a polished product. Like it’s fucking beautiful. I put 800 miles on my board in 2 months last summer (my first board btw), and it was the best experience I’ve ever had. I enjoyed it better and used it more than a car. I had an iPhone last year, so the app was amazing. Torque is enough for a person who never skated before, but ofcourse after time you want more. Hence my switch to DIY.

But I really can’t call it a toy. For 50mm motors, it’s a powerful board. Just comparing to DIY, it’s really behind because we have the option for 63mm+ motors and 400Wh+ batteries.

Anyways, I need to start making build threads for my boards : )

4 Likes

If you’re so desperate, why don’t you just make your own? It’s not hard what so ever.

I live in a high-rise downtown with no CNC mill up here. Also I did get some from @dickyho but they are 15mm. 20mm ones are unobtainium.

4 Likes

I agree with you more that it is a polished product… just the range feels toy like. I play with toys for a few minutes… Like drones and then the battery dies… I was killing my boosted battery in about 15-20 minutes… Then waiting an hour to charge. That’s the “toy like piece” for me I think.

Makes it hard to justify buying another… for 1500 when my Evo with ~40 miles of range cost me 1900. I dunno i can be on both sides… And it makes it even harder when the board is large and not a short deck so can’t fit in the last mile category even though it’s range is last mile type range…

3 Likes

I got a solid 5mile ride on a full charge, it’s not toy like to me because I understand the idea behind using LiFePo4 batteries, but I’m not saying it’s enough either! That’s why I made a Vanguard build too!

Love you Evo btw!

@b264 I thought so too until I actually searched. Believe me you’ll find a shop with a mill within a 5mile radius.

2 Likes

Yea man… I dunno I ordered a boosted mini. Because I feel like that actually will fit the category quite well. Half the price of the original boosted, same range, short deck. I’m actually really excited for it.

It’s just hard to be excited about almost any production longboard in the 36"+ length. As the cost/range per ride makes me feel cheated.

The boosted mini costs about the same as my :potato:, and will have almost identical ranges, and 50mm motors. The boosted mini seems justifiable In my head.

I know this isn’t coming out right…but maybe you get what I guess I’m trying to say?

3 Likes

I get exactly what you’re trying to say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:Why did you get the mini if you’re already making the :potato:?

Metro pulleys fit on 218 TB trucks, right? And they are 20mm, not 18mm?

1 Like

I use Dual 12mm and 5m pitch with 16/36 on 90mm wheels. (6355 x2 motors) I run my belts very loose so there is almost no drag from the belts. The belts will skip when i brake very very heavy but still stops quite well. The pros with loose belts is that i can coast forever, and my range is also increased cuz of this. On normal riding the belts never skips on my setup.

On my previous board i ran 3m pitch… they skipped like crazy and when i tightened the belt so it wouldn’t skip the belt would be destroyed after 3-5 charge cycles.

5m pitch is my choice! :slight_smile:

Mostly because I have a locker at work, and plan on leaving it in my locker(potato doesn’t fit…oops lol) so I’ll have a board at work, and then another last mile board to take from the house when I feel I need it.

Yea metroboard pulleys are actually 21mm and fit on 218 trucks.

1 Like

Hobbyking wheel pulleys are at least 20mm, but only 36T.

He likes those with bearings!

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t read!

Haha really? I thought the mini is longer then the :potato:,

EDIT: I confused the Potato with the Spud, forget it :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I’m 300ish and I cant make my 12mm belt skip and I can slam the brakes as hard as they can with -65 motor amps.

1 Like

But on a 12T motor pulley? 12mm on duals is typically fine on 15T or higher… but 12-14T start having skipping issues with lack of width

Actually not I run a 16t motor pulley

1 Like

I’m sorry if I upset you by my words. I just think price per performance is not there.

1 Like