A2ESK8 Mini Cruiser | 30" Carbon Fiber Deck | Single Carvon V2 Hub Motor | 12s1p LiFePO4 | VESC

This is an awesome build!

Question: I’m in process of building my own board and I’m curious about the anti-spark/on-off switch setup. Am I right in saying that the anti-spark is a permanent connection on your system and then the on-off switch on the side of the enclosure does exactly that - completes the circuit? Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Photo for reference from your build article.

2 Likes

I actually have a few 12S1P and 12S2P excited to try them out… I think I like the 1,000 life cycles and higher discharge currents better to charge at 4amp.

Yup that’s correct, my original VESC had the XT90 on it so I just matched the connection to the BMS.

1 Like

OK great, thanks! Is the on-off switch anything special… voltage rating etc.? :slight_smile:

I’m really happy with these cells so far, I’ll see how it holds up on long rides. @Kaly also has some good results from the LiFePO4.

1 Like

It’s just your standard 12v rocker switch that’s connect through the BMS http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-LED-Dot-Light-12V-Car-Auto-Boat-Round-Rocker-ON-OFF-TOGGLE-SPST-SWITCH-/261920202896

OK thanks. I’m going to be using a standard 2x 3s LiPo setup, so I’m not sure I should be using a 12v switch rather than an Anti-Spark to complete my basic circuit - i.e. I won’t have a BMS.

Definitely anti-spark for Lipos.

1 Like

Thanks dude! :slight_smile:

So you don’t need an anti- spark for LiFePo?

I’m not sure, it’s just a preference of mine. I usually like having XT90-S connectors between my battery and VESC just in case.

1 Like

Great article I looked up on there website but couldn’t find the weight of the ion30, do know how much it weighs? And what is the"heavy duty" option?

Man that is a sweet deck. I think I might have to buy one just to use as a regular skateboard. Did you spend an extra $30 for the Heavy Duty version?

Spark comes from the capacitors, so it doesn’t matter if you’re using lifepo/li-ion/lipo

5 Likes

@Bender @FlashNova I probably should have weighed it before I built it but overall weight is about 10lbs with everything on it. Heavy duty option is for the vicious grip tape I believe. There was a special when I ordered it so the heavy duty came free. I’ve been eye’ing a Hi5ber deck for awhile and while it’s definitely a premium price, it’s totally worth it. They seem to have a deck for many different styles.

2 Likes

Just a quick update - I wanted more stability at higher speeds similar to my Spud deck so I increased the Hi5ber Ion 30 wheelbase to 20" by pushing out the trucks which I think enhances the profile. Also replaced the original generic voltage display with a better generic voltage display. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

increasing wb was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the build! :grinning:

Yeah way better now. I think I got inspired when you said you had to mess with the truck holes on the Spud and then I remembered how much I loved that WB.

Just made some finishing touches on the 12s1p LiFePO4 battery pack: added some heat shrink around the cells and BMS, some neoprene foam on the outer tabs, added some hotglue to dampen the vibrations between the switch joints and some polyolefin heat shrink on the VESC. Also made a 1/16th ABS cover lined with 1/8" neoprene for some additional cushioning. Now I feel 100% confident riding this thing through rough terrain.

9 Likes

Hi Now that you have tried this battery chemistry, how do you compare it to other battery cells like samsung 25R in the Space cell, in regards to the discharge current of each battery chemistry ?