Acton Hub Motor Authenticity?

So from their Reddit AMA, Acton talks about how they invented (“broke the mold”) on the 83mm hub motor. If this is true, then claims that they are doing little more than rebranding E-wheelin/Paradox boards would not be true.

I think it should be simple enough to prove this, right? Does anyone have a picture of the insides of an 83mm Acton Hub motor or a Chinese Clone 83mm motor? Maybe we can post it here and see for ourselves.

Notice the trucks and the motor casings. However, the i4 is 70mm and the S2 is 83mm.

1 Like

I was really curious about how they managed to keep the board so cheap… I guess that’s how.

If you’re not gonna make a great hub motor, use 4 shitty ones!

2 Likes

Actually, I really like my Acton Board. It’s been working great. I just want to know if I have really low standards, or if there’s a significant difference. It’d help me feel better about investing in their latest models.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with them, but their definitely not innovating. It’d be a much better idea to consider the more advanced hub motors that are in development right now from Carvon and Enertion.

As if the price wasn’t suspect enough, just look at the power of the board. 400w per motor… An evolve GT has twice the electrical power with half the motors.

2 Likes

Consider the more advanced hub motors that are in development right now from Carvon and Enertion.

Yep. They’ve been fully considered, I’d drop everything for a Carvon v3 or a look at the new Enertion Hub. I will do that; I just can’t yet because they’re not available. A bird in the hand and so forth…

So here I am looking to answer a question that’s been nagging me lately. On review, the i4 shown above features 70mm wheels. So perhaps there’s merit to the 83mm claim…

that’s so funny & so true

As if the price wasn’t suspect enough, just look at the power of the board. 400w per motor… An evolve GT has twice the electrical power with half the motors.

Agreed, there’s no comparison with the Evolve (primarily because it’s not a hub motor, though). In any case, the hubs shown above are 500W each, not 400W each. Nevertheless, that brings me to a good point. Even if we did a side by side internals comparison, it wouldn’t be too conclusive because there may be differences due to the size.

I suppose that I really need to find a 500W 83mm motor to compare against.

Actons video said it’s 1600w of power, which would be 400w each. Being a hub motor or not doesn’t matter, a motor is a motor, and the quatros are very underpowered.

Taking another look at Alibaba, the following is the best match I could find.

ve,

However, the wheel above is 450W and not 500W. Given the above, I’m thinking that either (1) Acton adds additional urethane to distinguish between off-the-shelf stock, or (2) their design is actually different. Ultimately, I think it’s promising either way. On one hand, Acton modified their stock to perform better. On the other hand, Acton has a unique design.

Actons video said it’s 1600w of power, which would be 400w each. Being a hub motor or not doesn’t matter, a motor is a motor, and the quatros are very underpowered.

Ah, you were talking about the Qu4tro. I thought you were referring to the above comparison between the Acton S2 vs. iWheelin i4

Ah my mistake, everyone’s talking about the quatro these days…

Looks like they ripped off the suspension design too…

1 Like

Don’t eat up that review @squishy654. That particular review did more damage to Acton and the Acton Qu4tro than anything else on planet Earth. Practically destroying the company’s reputation on the process.

C’mon man, as if Boosted Board or Evolve hasn’t done the same, on a daily basis, delivering half their product line with faulty components across the board, day in, day out, 24/7/365… cheap batteries, bad motors, unreliable remotes, perverse costumer service, expensive hardware, delayed shipments, electronic malfunctions, flawed designs, etc, etc, etc.

Is really bad when people repeats what everybody else is commenting in Reddit and other forums, biting that lure and jumping on the Acton Qu4tro destruction bandwagon directly to the abyss where the naysayers, doomsday seers and competition lobbyists want you to drive their carcass.

The glass should be half full not half empty. A different opinion for a change… :point_down:

1 Like

I didn’t eat up the review, I actually talked to Avenue and heard the inside story on the whole thing before that review ever came out, I made up my own mind and what Acton did (stealing and cloning ideas from info gathered from a false partnership) was slimy and the boards have broken while people have been riding them as a result of them not properly implementing the design…these are facts you cannot argue away, sorry…Its also not important enough to make a video explaining it all because frankly I have better shit to do…lol I trust Avenue trucks and have ridden them for miles in testing…I actually don’t like complete eskate companies and feel they should be all making serviceable skateboards and parts instead of paperweights for suckers. When one rips off another legit skateboard truck company, I notice…

1 Like

Well, that video is not mine. Had nothing to do with it. But I understant your point on Acton fckg Avenue. Still that review in particular was the main culprit for all the bass press (deserved or not) the Qu4tro received and the main reason why so many people sold them in eBay.