Actual SK3 Power Output

Gotcha. Makes sense. To figure that out, I would 1) use the fact that people here are regularly driving these motors at 12s and 80A motor current, find out how Vedder is measuring voltage and current on the AC side, and calculate a typical input power that way. 2) Use the efficiency numbers from the charts in your first post to calculate the mechanical output power, or just estimate it at ~80% efficiency which seems to be a conservative estimate based on the plots.

The other thing is, there are a lot of people that run 6355 motors at 12s and 80A as well, even though the stator is almost half as long as that from the 6374. Boosted also runs their motors (which are tiny, probably something like 5025) at 30A max. This says to me that typical use cases do not draw maximum allowed current for very long at all, and we can probably configure VESC to drive 6374 at a good deal more than 80A.

Peak power will be max speed it can spin x the max torque based on the magnetic saturation point of the stator material and the leverage based on radius

Continuous power would hugely depend on the ambient temp, airflow and ability to dissipate heat, and the max operating temp of the magnets.

Don’t know the math for 3 phase AC, but I found this calculator.

An sk3 can totally make more than 400w. Without a doubt. It really depends on if you’re talking about burst power or continuous power. Our motors can make obsurd amounts of power for a limited time. Unlike an engine, there is not really any mechanical limitations that prevent the motor from making above its continuous rating.

The only issue is heat and maybe saturation of the magnetic field at some point. The windings can handle it but the magnets are the first to go from the heat.

yeh I think u should re-edit your first post and put 2.3kw there… otherwise it can make some flaming if someone doesnt read your 14# post :smiley:

The real kinetic energy in watts sounds like good comparison. I have taken my sk3 (192kv, 6374) only to about 1500W (electrical) due to battery output limit but im sure someone have pushed it a lot more.

1 Like