Addicted! First build, here we go

You’re not raising doubts man. In fact, I’m glad you have pointed all this out as it may help others in the future.

I guess a skateboard is just like a boat (I come from a fishing background). No matter what boat you have, it’s always a compromise - you’ll never get everything you want in the one package. Although, it looks like you are a lot closer to this than I am.

1 Like

There are no 7" hubs, the hub is the same for 6.5" to 8" and 125mm Gummies :grinning: If you like wider tyres you can use the evolve GT 7", perfect fit.

Oh Man! I’m a dick! Shows how much I know about all this stuff… So, all I need to do is order some 8" tyres (and tubes) to go onto my current hubs? That’s cool. Thanks also for the tip on the evolve tyres. I’ll keep these in mind as well.

Don’t be too hard to yourself :joy: One year ago I had to research all this trampa stuff, can be confusing in the beginning.

1 Like

Figured I’d better provide a few updates and I’ve finally got some time up my sleeve. Since my last post, a fair bit of the gear has arrived and I now have something resembling an E-MTB. The only things I am still waiting on are the enclosure (from @Eboosted) and then a battery pack. I have to say that this forum has been a HUGE inspiration to me and I have learnt so much in such a short time - just from reading posts/threads and watching what other members have been doing. This ‘hobby’ is changing so fast that I’m sure what we are doing right now will be outdated in far less than a year from now. Massive thanks to the following (Shit, I hope I remember everyone…) @scepterr for the Dark Matter motors and other bits and pieces. @Nowind for the ‘sexy as fuck’ mini direct drive. If you only knew how many nights I sat just staring at these, while enjoying a few cold ales… @trampa for a pretty cool deck and trucks. One of the better options, particularly for off-road, which is my ONLY intention with this build. @stewii for providing me (and the rest of us) with a fantastic alternative to the current market options with the ESCape. Stewii has also provided me with a lot of assistance along the way, with my myriad of ‘stupid’ questions, as has @Nowind.

I’d also like to send a big thanks to @DanSkates and @Cobber for the PM’s - you guys have helped me a lot and I’d love to be at the level you two are at in both your riding and your understanding, and the fact that you are both pioneering some pretty cool shit right now. Oh, and to @gbutcher for getting me into this mess right from the start. Gaz, because of you, I now have yet another addiction.

Anyway, as they say, “pictures, or it didn’t happen”

The “Arnhemlander” E-MTB as it currently stands. Note that the front trucks are the Mini’s, whilst the rear trucks are the ‘standard’. This is because I needed wider hangers for the dual E-Toxx drive system. I’m going to stick with this current configuration and just see how it rides.

What’s a MTB in Arnhemland without the iconic Buffalo head? Had to do it…

P4161087 Rear of board showing the direct drives and Dark Matter motors. I just love how this whole drive system is so compact.

P4161086 Stereotypical board shot.

P4161085 Underside of board - @Eboosted enclosure on it’s way to cover up that sticker. Got me buggered why this pic is so outta whack.

P4161092 My ‘riding boots’. I don’t wear shoes!

P4161093 ESCapes awaiting connection.

P4161088 Check this out! I took this shot to highlight just how compact the drive system is. viewed from the side, with the 8" tyres, you can’t even see the drive system. I like that a LOT.

P4161094 Thank you @stewii

P4161090 Ground clearance looks pretty good. Hmmmm, better go mop the floor when I finish posting this!!

P4161089 Another angle showing how compact the drive system is. Did I mention just how much I LOVE this??

Apart from the enclosure and battery/BMS the only other thing I’ll probably change is to ditch the Superstars (don’t like the bearing ‘fit’ and the balancing) and go with the hubs that @Kug3lis is making. Just waiting to hear back from him on pricing and availability.

10 Likes

I have some of kugies hubs coming, they are not perfectly balanced though, so you will still need to counter the valve stem weight somehow (I use ABC ceramic balance beads).

I have some gravity decks that I run different width axles on, 10mm wider front. It is crazy how different the bushings feel, and changes in stuff like wheel lift…

crazy sugestion but, don’t be afraid to try fwd with your set up :wink:

What is ‘fwd’??

i assume he means front wheel drive

Interesting. I had never considered that. I’ll keep the drive on the rear for now, but it may be worth playing with swapping it over to the front too… This would put the wider trucks on the front and the narrow (mini’s) on the rear.

Hope you get the enclosure soon, it’s gonna be a blast to ride it!

Yep. I can’t wait to see the enclosure. One of the very last pieces of this E-MTB puzzle.

This thing is gonna be AWESOME!!! Love the bare foot shot :sweat_smile:

It’s funny how you can fall in love with these machines. I frequently crack a beer, turn on the lights in my workshop, look at my board and spin the wheels! My wife thinks I’m crazy - I’ll make sure she knows there’s plenty more crazy people out there too :rofl:

I’ve had full on rain here the last 2 days and it’s killed me not to ride my board. I’m actually setting my alarm for sunrise so I can ride first thing in the morning!

This is a very interesting and unique build. I like the combination of trucks, stability plus easy steering. Man your riding boots really made my day :rofl: but I don’t think it’s a good idea.

:joy: This ain’t crazy, that’s normal… Hope you turn on the vescs before you spin the rear wheels. My build took some time because I had to play with the parts before assembling it :grin:

1 Like

Mate this is looking sweet. Can’t wait to hear how she rides. Jelly as. Must resist buying one myself…

Glad to know that I am not alone…

My riding boots have served me well for the past 47 years just as they are. I’m sure they’ll continue to do the same, regardless of what I do.

2 Likes

@Eboosted enclosure arrived in the post today - yeehaa.

Not sure yet whether I’ll have the ESCapes in the enclosure or not. My main aim is to get a 12s4p with BMS in there.

P4191097

P4191098

4 Likes

I really hope you won’t fall at high speed. Then you’ll reconsider.

Had a crash with vans on Sunday and my foot is smashed. Kinda wish I had worn boots…

1 Like

Thanks man. I don’t plan on high speed. My goal is to ride on bush tracks, which will be slow going.

1 Like

Bush tracks, high torque for the ride in and to drag all those barra back out? Want to see some footage man. CU in the NT :joy: are you based in Darwin?

1 Like

You’re almost spot on mate. Might also try to drag a few buff out of the scrub while I am at it. All the more reason to upgrade to those Helical gears that @Nowind now has - this will give me ‘stealth mode’.

Not based in Darwin - I don’t like cities. I’m based out in the real country - Arnhemland. Nothin’ but bush out here mate.

3 Likes