Adding a Speed Limit

This is mostly a marketing myth spread by hub motor manufacturers. You can use hub motors if you want. They are crappy though. Direct drive would be much better but there aren’t any manufacturers selling single-motor direct drive and even if there were, they would be really expensive.

3 Likes

I think improved push ability is more or less a marketing gimmick / hype. If you run belts with the correct tension they are pushable too.

4 Likes

Lmao beat me too it. I’ve also heard gear drives (with proper backlash) have very little rolling resistance.

2 Likes

Both are definitely true. My gear drives feels like they have less resistance than my belt drive boards, but both are a matter of tuning.

You will have less rolling resistance with hubs but it’s negligible in most cases.

The cheap hub motors out there are to be considered a consumable, but there’s no arguing how much easier they are to get rolling vs building out a belt drive for a first time builder.

2 Likes

Totally correct. Current driven control systems control power, not speed. Important to understand the difference here if you’re trying to limit speed. There’s still duty cycle being controlled in proportion to your throttle, but any time you’re limiting speed this will be impacted rather than current.

2 Likes

Is there a problem if you push a belt/VESC setup as the controller will receive energy from the motor (enough to get a blue led lit on my FOXbox, for instance) then stop (not enough energy from the motor) then receive energy again (because I pushed again with my foot) then stop, then start, etc ? I don’t dare push because of that…I’m wrong ?

Yeah it’s totally fine to kick push your board regardless of belt/hub/gears or rc car esc or vesc it can definitely handle that.

2 Likes

Thank you 10 char

1 Like

Ok, thanks !

Just don’t exceed the maximum speed your board can go while under power. That could start to blow stuff. Otherwise you should be okay

Generally, it’s much better to power the board on if you want to push it

3 Likes

So my new theoretical top speed when I briefly hooked up the unity was 34 mph. After my car crash, I think i’ll stick to the 22-24mph range and enjoy the increased torque for a bit before increasing the top speed to 30mph.

I don’t know much about the different control methods (current, duty cycle, watt mode). Is limiting erpm the preferred speed limiting method?

Hey could you tell me what setting to look for in vesc tool to turn this feature off? it comes with the Eovan carbon pro and is dangerous when hitting over 48km youll get a speed wobble.