Ai13 / 180mm Rev Kingpin Trucks w/ 83mm Flywheel clones / DIY 5055 280KV / Chinese Mount & Pulleys | Castle Mamaba Monster 2

AI13 Cruiser

This is build #2. I’m working with some of the parts I used on the last build and some new. After the ESC caught fire, I decided to rethink the whole thing. That being said, the drive train is essentially the same for now. I am using the same motor, trucks, wheels, pulleys & belt on a new deck with new electronics. I am trying to build this board with the ability to change out some of the components later, when money is a bit more available :).

MECHANICAL

37x9in Aluminum Longboard Cruiser 180mm Reverse Kingpin Trucks & FlyWheels 83mm White Wheels Pig 1/2" 0.5" Skateboard Longboard Riser Pad x2 Black DIY Electic Skateboard Kit - Pulleys, Belts and Motor Mount - 5065/5055 motor, 16 & 48 tooth

ELECTRICAL

Electric Skateboard Motor 5055 280KV Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 (F360C) TorqueBoards 2.4ghz Nano Remote Controller FlySky FS-GT2B 2.4GHz 3-Channel Transmitter x2 (series) ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 30C

THE GOOD

The deck is a great shape, could use a concave but it’s all good. Still not a huge fan of the trucks, but they work and I want to use MBS Matrix trucks on the next build so I’m just going to keep using them. The wheels are fine, I plan on using some some flavor of pneumatic wheel on the next build so I’m just going to keep using them as well. I am currently running at 6s, all I use it for is riding around the warehouse (I’ve walked 17km in a day before, so this is sweet :). The batteries lasts for a couple of hours, top speed is around 18mph, handles the few small hills very well. The ESC is great, the programability is very nice, the acceleration curve setting is invaluable. No complaints as far as performance is concerned.

THE BAD

The deck is a little squishy in the middle. I’ve got to figure out a way to reinforce it. I found some 1in Aluminum U channel that I think will do, but cutting out the enclosures is a must before I do that. I have considered vacuum forming an enclosure incorporating the reinforcement channel, but time just wont allow at the moment. The motor I bought is a higher KV than I should have bought, its 280kv, it has to little torque for a single motor build.

I’m on the lookout for a 190 to 245 as a replacement. I’ll sell the Tourqueboards 280kv for $55 shipping included (within the US only plz). It has approx 30 hours of ride time and a few scratches but still in very good shape. That would get me a lot closer to the 190kv I should’ve bought in the first place.

I am currently using the TB nano remote, I’m not crazy about it. The travel on the acceleration switch is very short, so there’s not a lot of finesse available. I ordered a FlySky FS-GT2B to tryout. If its better I’ll do the badwolf mod.

I’ll post pics later of the build so far. Its in progress, I am still trying to figure out what enclosure shape to use and the wiring is still a little fluid.

1 Like

I’ve been riding it for a couple of days, figuring out the best way to mount the components.

I mounted a piece of aluminum 3/4in C channel down the center of the board to decrease the squishy in the middle., My enclosure is going to be complicated. I mounted double stick Velcro pads on the board and the batteries, plus I ran 2 Velcro straps under the C channel to hold the batteries. I am using a 100A/12V breaker as a switch for now.

I am thinking about taking sheet metal and putting a half inch lip on the top and bottom with a break, then drilling the mounting holes and sort of bending in a curve from the battery side at 7 inches to the middle at 4.5 inches to the motor side at 7 inches. Then cutting a piece of ABS as the lid and using thumb screws to fasten it. I may end up vacuum forming the entire thing or I may get psychotiller to make me one. I’m still on the fence about it, so any suggestions would be much appreciated…

1 Like

Hi, i like your build. A lot to learn from. Can i ask you a question: the TB motor mount doesn’t fit on those trucks, how did you do it ?

It’s a Chinese mount for Paris trucks that I bought on eBay. I did a little grinding on the tricks to make it fit.

1 Like