Airplane Restrictions for Batteries

I’ve just came here to post the Video :smiley: That’s just scary to bring a Board on a plane if they treat you like that!

I would have ripped the battery off and took the rest of the board with me.

Honestly though, I would be soo pissed if my board got taken. He got his $1500 boosted board taken and didn’t say much else than “I’m really pissed”??? I would have taken the battery out, and just gone right thru, but I’m surprised he really got that much crap about it.

he is a millionaire

So i flew with south west airlines back in December of 2015 and when i got to the gate they knew i had lipos (for a quadcopter) and asked to see them. They where not happy with the number I had (10-20) of zippy compact 2200 mah 35c 3s lipos. So they said i could only take 3 batterys. So i hooked them up in parelle and got 9 on board.(3 sets of 3) so no matter what they say thats what goes at the gait according to the flight crew. What i would recommend it to take your airlines regulations and the tsa regulations and place them on top of you battery in your bag. Just to be safe.

P.S. Carry your battery on board the plane because of the pressure difference and the flight crew can handle any bad situations. When going through tsa place the battery or any other questionable objects in the last bin with your paper work. So when they flag it you can get you belt and shoes back. Learned that one the hard way!

Not Australia, it’s Emirates policy at play here:

“Personal motorised vehicles are not allowed on board. For safety reasons, we can’t accept personal motorised vehicles such as hoverboards, mini-Segways and smart or self-balancing wheels on our flights. We can’t carry them either as checked-in baggage or as hand luggage as they contain large lithium batteries. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted them.”

I’ve given a lot of thought into this, as I cannot imagine traveling without my board. I am traveling to Thailand next year, and I don’t want leave it to chance that my battery might not make it past airport security. I weighed a couple options including, mailing my battery ahead of time, having a new battery shipped there, and even breaking down my battery pack into smaller 99wh packs and trying my luck with airport security. Even that seems a little risky, cause you never know if TSA is just gonna ruin your day (or vacation for that matter).

I found that the best solution around this, is to find a hobby store in the country you are visiting!! Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones! I mean why spend so much money shipping your battery, when you are gonna have to ship it back also, and who knows what kind of import taxes and duty fees you are going to encounter at customs (Thailand can have an import tax up to 90%). So why not just make life easier and buy some cheap Lipos for your vacation battery solution?

With a little research I found this hobby shop in Bangkok: http://www.twinprohobby.com/index.php?page=product&productid=3485&category=9

And thats just one shop, I’m sure there are others. They even have a youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sme6LGB8cEg

This is the battery that they sell:

Who knows if it is a quality cell. But I don’t really need it to be. As long as it last for the 2 months i’m there. And for $50-$100, its the cheapest solution that I can think of that guarantees that I will have a board for my trip.

All you need to do is do a little planning in advance. Make sure you bring a charger, and any wires and connectors that you are gonna need. I’m having a 6s6p battery being built right now, but I’m thinking about installing a 6s VGA charging port on my enclosure anyways, so I can easily swap my 6s6p battery with lipos whenever i travel. I think 6s is gonna be the most practical solution when traveling, as it is a lot easier to charge. You just need a simple 6s balance charger.

1 Like

Something needs to be done about this very quickly. Electric longboards are fast becoming an extremely popular way to get around and I can only hope that battery technology gets better or the flight companies remove their heads from their sphincters. At this point, I cannot think about leaving my board behind when I go travelling.

If Emirates stated that they can’t accept personal motorized vehicle, then it’s easier for “US” DIY builder to assemble a board that can be taken a part easily during transport. Take off the mount, the belt, the drive wheels and the batteries. Then put the batteries in a laptop bag and place a power bank mark on it. Hence they can’t took your board as it’s just a normal sporting goods. The parts of the boards are miscellaneous while the batteries disguise might actually work.

TBH lately with the Samsung Galaxy 7 amount that have been caught fire and transported in airplanes, It should be reasonable too to carry large batteries on board.

I have decided on purchasing battery on arrival, what kind of battery pack would be needed for the Yuneec Ego cruiser ??

There seems to be a couple threads mentioniong taking batteries on plane…

Thought to throw this in:

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/ligo-batteries.html

These are battery modules, you can ‘‘stick’’ them together, basic config is 36v and 2.7ah.

Seems quite smart, though, at least two of these would be needed to get a somewhat decent range / capacity…

No info about the pricing yet either…

Unless you’re planning on sticking quite a few of them together, their discharge rate is a little on the low side for our needs. Definitely a cool idea though

Just to put it out there, I recently finished an airplane legal build. Batteries are 99wh (6s 4500mah), and each gets me 4.5 miles of range. Super compact so that I can take it as a carry-on as well. Custom made by barajabali using Basen 26650 cells. Attempting to take it to Germany this coming summer - I’ll update everyone on how that goes

@anorak234

That sounds interesting. Are they easily swappable? Any pics of the enclosure?

Making your pack split up into <99wh packs isn’t that hard.

To swap them I unscrew the enclosure and unclip the main and balance plugs. Not very easy, but doable if I need more range. Also got one plug charging integrated into the system. Here are a few pictures:

I think a good rule of thumb to use is: If the airliner bans ‘mobility assistance vehicles’ (with exception of wheelchairs), eg. hoverboards, then it’s safe to say that taking an e-board with you would be a very big risk, and likely not acceptable onboard. It is of course leaving it up to interpretation, but splitting the packs mightn’t be good enough if security/the airline want to be difficult.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/aircarrier_info/media/battery_incident_chart.pdf

Maybe some ppl find this interesting… it looks like to be a ‘‘documentation’’ of Lithium battery hazards which have happened on airplanes or in airports in general.

Maybe a a123 26650 12s1p battery will fit? Even boosted did this, why there aren’t that much build with it?

@Trans-amers because A123 cells are crazy expensive :joy:. Honestly I probably would’ve gone that route but it was simpler and cheaper to keep it 6s

I’ve travelled with our Jed Board all wheel drive from Singapore to Sydney and back a few times. It’s got a total of over 400wh of power. I disconnected the batteries, put the skateboard in a box and simply just checked it in as a skateboard. Didn’t have any issues on either side.

I’m pretty sure casey’s boosted was confiscated as in Oz we have a weird rule about travelling with sporting goods.

Ultimately the airport is the one who has the final say no matter what the airline says.

Best carriers I’ve found for travelling with battery related items are Virgin and Singapore Airlines.