All new 2019 VESC-Tool release

Come on people, you can get cheap potatoes with Bluetooth and WiFi running off of potato power for free at your carrier (most of em atleast, I can speak for cricket/atnt though)

1 Like

@trampa We need more info on that remote. As in price and availability. Is the desktop version the same as the android version now?

Never, ever get a phone from a carrier, under any circumstances.

And yes, you can get a cheap Android for this purpose for $39.99 with free shipping and if you actually bought a real phone, you wouldnā€™t even have this problem in the first place.

3 Likes

Maybe that is true in the US but in EU all phones are unlocked whether you buy them from a carrier or not.

1 Like

You can get oneplus one for like Ā£50 here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OnePlus-One-64GB-Sandstone-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-/233020358296?epid=193945586&hash=item3641187e98%3Ag%3A~hIAAOSwwPRb-unk&nma=true&si=cynsx6mxBo1Wg99QgZkZnEIYFkM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

5 Likes

No I meant for working phones like iPhones. I can run It on my Huawei Mate 20 pro but for the most of the time itā€™s on the shelf because every time I pick it up it it feels like being at work due to how buggy it is. I spend the days at work coding and sorting out bugs in software and at home I really prefer to use a finished product :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why canā€™t he make a open source app for iOS? There are other open source apps in iOS. Is it a license issue or is it that he just doesnā€™t want to?

I have one but my daily driver needs to not be a beta-project so I never use it. To bad that itā€™s not going to be released but I guess there will be other options soon enough :slight_smile:

This is amazing, looking forward to seeing what itā€™s about

1 Like

Oh no! DAVEga, Proton, and Metr Pro stock going down. :smiley: This is a lot of great work!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen you say this multiple times but you never bothered to explain why.

Iā€™ve gotten two free Samsung notes. And three free galaxies between me and my wife over the past 6 years from my carrier.

http://e.lvme.me/1sdn9wh.jpg

11 Likes

Yepā€¦ free. I havenā€™t changed my phone contract in over 10 years. Im locked into old benefits they canā€™t afford to offer anymore. Theyā€™ve tried bribing me to changing my plan multiple times. Lol

6 Likes

@b264

Yup, I havenā€™t bought a phone from any providers in at least ~ 3 or 4 years. Best thing ever. I donā€™t like monthly payments on phones.

This is where I get my phones from. Couple it with ROMs from here. Good to go!

2 Likes

How much do you pay per person per month? If you donā€™t mind. That might factor into the free mobiles. But maybe you are grandfathered into a very good plan.

We pay $120 for 3 people for text and calls unlimited. And data of 20gb per person with T-mobile.

2 Likes

dang 20gb/person a month thats crazy

This.

Im not sure of total cost any more. I pay $20 for my two lines. But my mother, her boyfriend ,my 4 sisters, thier father and his mother are on the plan too. We get 2 free upgrades a year. So i gotta wait my trun for a upgrade. My current phone was a budget replacement after i dropped my old phone in the deep fryer at work lol

3 Likes

Wooooooooah

1 Like

As far as I know itā€™s all done on the VESC level. Otherwise the remote would not be able to display the info without the phone running in parallel. Benjamin took his time to think of the best way to implement things without working himself into a corner like other implementations did. All together itā€™s 20k+ new lines of code, 8k on the FW side. This is not just a simple tweak to existing FW. Itā€™s a a proper foundation allowing future developments without going forward and backwards all the time.

I would suggest to move Android vs Apple debates into a separate thread. Itā€™s quite boring to have that debate each time VESC-software is debated. This thread is about the 2019 VESC-Tool and new FW. Everyone knows that Apple is not supported for reasons that are in Appleā€™s hands only. If you want to use OS, GPLed Software, you need a HW platform allowing such software on your device. The Apple terms and conditions are diametrally opposing the GPL license and this fact will not change in any foreseeable future.

12 Likes

Me too, thatā€™s why I want real phones that run any software I want. Phones whose parent company are not pushing innovation into China. If I care about fashion and being the hippest person on the runway, then of course Iā€™d wear Yeezys and wear an iPhone but if I want a real phone to actually do things with, then I donā€™t buy stuff solely designed to look nice and solely designed to create cults.

9 Likes