All terrain board with independent suspension

Very impressive build, I cant even imagine the time it took to design and build. Seems to perform as good as it looks :ok_hand:

I finally made an account just to say that this is an amazing board! I would love to see a parts list on the suspension and steering designs. Congrats on an amazing board!

https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/3X/a/d/ad4b7a65493834c984ca994d5d8693ca4d7500f3.jpg

if u squint it looks like a F1 chassis.

7 Likes

This is really amazing what you did but what is the advantage over normal skateboard trucks? Would be nice to see a video about steering, I mean where we can see how tight the curves are possible. How stable is your suspension at higher speed? No wobbling at all? Did you ever try a normal mountainboard for comparison? For sure your suspension adapts better to the ground then a normal one. Donā€™t get me wrong, I really like your board but is this made just for fun or does it really have big advantages over normal trucks?

same questions basically. From the video, it looks like the board is really sensitive and that it requires relatively little force/pressure from the feet to turn. Around 44 seconds in, I also noticed the board quickly swirling to the right. Not sure if the board tracks easily, or if it simply requires more practice.

I see vids of people bombing down mountains at four times the speed I am currently going and I know my own skills are setting the limits of the relatively simple design of a mountain board, not necessarily the components I am using. Then there is the added weight of such complexity, which could have a negative influence on handling.

No doubt, this thing will tackle any terrain, just because of the wheel size and clearance alone. Perfect for beaches etc. Engineering marvel for sure. Different design for different purposes.

I guess bindings would make a big difference in offroad conditions :grin:

any problem with torque steering using just the one motor? iā€™m wondering if that insanely awesome suspension helps with that.

Thanks for the comments!

I like to answer the questions, so donā€™t be afraid to ask them!:smile:

Is there an advantage over normal skateboard trucks? If wished to ride for performance, for example extreme driving with high speeds and jumps a normal skateboard system will be absolutely better, they are simple, light weight, reliable and proven. Also you only need a board and not a frame. It was not the goal to beat the traditional board by performance, but to build something difference, and look with another view to skateboarding. So are the trucks an advantage for performance? No it is not an performance advantage, It is different but works very well, for cruising and fun driving through offroad paths itā€™s works fine.

From telnoi: it looks like the board is really sensitive and that it requires relatively little force/pressure from the feet to turn. Around 44 seconds in, I also noticed the board quickly swirling to the right. Not sure if the board tracks easily, or if it simply requires more practice

This was my first time riding it on a mountainbike path, riding onroad is way easier than the offroad paths.:grin: I use springs on both sides to hold the board in the straight position, There has to be a balance between steering at low speed and steering at high speed. By using stiffer springs the board canā€™t steer in his max steering position what I use on lower speed. By driving on high speed you donā€™t want that the board is steering sensitive because than you can loose the balance if the board is steering sharp. I adjusted the springs and also the pendulum to get a balance between this. A wish is to add oil dampers to the steering system in the future. This prevents the possibility of suddenly steering at higher speeds what can result in a wobble and loosing balance. Now it is is fine to drive it with 20- 23km/h average. (measured by gps).

About the weight: The total weight including battery is 27,2 kg.

any problem with torque steering using just the one motor? iā€™m wondering if that insanely awesome suspension helps with that. One motor works fine by normal use. Only on very loose sand it is ofcours harder to accelerate. Accelarating offroad on a normal forest path is not a problem. For performance 2 motors is ofcourse always better.

So in general, The board is intended for fun, to have a new view on skateboarding. To challenge myself to design a good working special type of electric skateboard. When I was young I skateboarded a lot and past year I found this forum on the internet. I saw the great electric boards on this forum what motivated me to build this board.:grin:. So I want to thank you all for the great inspiration on this forum!

6 Likes

you did an amazing job.

2 Likes

AWESOME !!! Great deck :-

Now work on a wireless remoteā€¦

1 Like

Great job! With the steering, how much of a problem is bump steer? In other words, if suspension compression occurs during a turn does it change the steering angle?

2 Likes

Hello There!

Steering while the suspension is compressed is the same as steering with uncompressed suspension.I designed the steeringrods in the steering system as parallel as possible together with the support arms. Desiging the steering rods parallel with the support arms will give the smallest angular rotation as possible. So if the springs are uncompressed, aswel compressed the steering rods rotates together (in vertical direction) with the support arms and stay parallel. Only than there is no rotation as result of compressing the springs.

Iff the wheather permits maybe I make another video now I have a bit more experience with the board. Iā€™m still riding with it and have great fun. Iff I make the video I can show the suspension more detailed and show the max sharpness of steering.

Greetings!

5 Likes

Yesterday the weather was nice so I decided to make a ride with the electric skateboard, I filmed a small part of the sunday drive and like to share it with you, now with a bit more driving experience.

11 Likes

Would be cool to see how the suspension works in action. Is it possible for you to mount the camera facing the board or just get a ā€˜selfie stickā€™ for camera?..

Otherwiseā€¦ happy riding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey! Would it be possible for you to share the blueprints for the parts? I am very interested in building a similar version!

1 Like

Hi There,

It is time for me to start with an new project, so i am thinking of selling the board. I had a lot of fun with building and riding it, but my biggest hobby is still to design and build cool things like this board.

For information: This board is not a toy, it can be dangerous and reach high speeds. It is not recommended for kids. To maintain the board, you need to be a bit technical. The board is not a product, but an project. Further the board is as good as new.

If you are interested feel free to send me an personal message on this forum. I donā€™t need to sell it, it only will be sold for a fair price. For the time it only can be picked up in the Netherlands.

A picture how it is today:

skateboard%20forum

9 Likes

Looka cool. So single motor offered enough grunt? ā€¦ not sure if u made any system to drive both axlesā€¦ should go and check it out :slight_smile:

god damn that is cool. Probably cost some insane ammount of money to manufacture everythingā€¦ unless you have all the pipe bending, sheet bending, laser? cutting equipment available at work or something :slight_smile:

very cool! like a diy baja board.

Insame amount of work and passion here :crazy_face: and with a gorgeous looking at the end ! Good sale :wink: