All Wheel Drive Set-up Question

Hey guys, so you may have seen my build going on…at a snails pace

A few changes as far as direction have been made. Considering what I will be using this set-up for, have decided to go the all wheel drive route, what with bigger wheels and the fact that I will be towing a trailer often think that dual hubmotors will not be enough. Have ordered 4 of jacob bloys 63mm hub motors with 107mm thane that we made a mould for a while back, which should be in sometime January.

So the question is this, will running longer wires to the motor effect performance, and if so how can I negate this? From where the vesc’s will be mounted and to the furthest truck there will be about 2ft/60cm of wire that will have to be run to power the motors, and just under 1f/30cm to get to the other motors. Which brings up the other question, will I have to keep the wires to these motors all the same length to keep everything running smooth and balanced?

Thanks all for any help you can share

1 Like

From what I’ve heard the motor wire length doesn’t make that big of a difference. Battery to esc wire length however makes a large impact.

This would be good news if what you heard is true, wonder though if you would effect performance/efficiency if; in a hypothetical world, one motor had a wire 10 ft long, and another 1 ft long.

FWIW Here is some reading material for background information. There’s also plenty of links to resources towards the bottom of the page.

1 Like

Cheers, that answers all my questions and then some!

Ya, I once had my esc located at the front of my board with the wires going about 2ft back to the motor: no noticeable performance difference from having 6inches of wire.

But like @locktight said, I would be more concerned about battery wire length