Almost no brakes in FOC. 12s3p 30Q battery - Flipsky 6.6 - Meepo HubMotors Style

That the master still accelerates is really strange. Can you try to enable “Max dir switch ERPM enabled”. This way you have to release the throttle and brake again to start going backwards. That’s what i use all the time so maybe there is a mistake in the code when it is not activated. But what also looks strange is that your motor wants to go backwards at the beginning in the video when you accelerated.

but I am using current no rev with brakes. I don’t use reverse

That makes it even more strange. Can you post the rest of your settings? Exspecially the ones which you changed.

do you mean the motor setting?

Yes, and a video where you connect to the master with the app while doing the same bench test would be very helpful.

Wait what do you mean connect to the master with the app? Do you mean I need to put the bluetooth module connected to the master? or is it ok leave it connected to the slave and activate connect to CAN ID 0?

It’s ok to leave it at the slave. Only need to see the data of the master when it accelerates during braking. because the slave doesn’t move but master does.

Ah ok, in the first video is actually the slave that moves. Other times is both. I will make the video.

So was it the master or the slave that started to move when you braked in the video where the board was on the bench? And does it do that each time or only sometimes?

So in the first one is the slave https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybKdKPunB8 in the second one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufUbrMm3uU I removed connect to CAN ID 0 to have data from the slave and in that case is the master that keeps spinning. When I ride is like the first case. They always do it on bench test, sometimes one, sometimes only the slave. I will make the video connected to the master like the first situation but with the telemetry.

Please also check if you get a clean signal from the remote when you brake by looking at the PPM signal in the tool. And you can also check the realtime data with the tool and maybe make a video of it. Something funny is going on which can be a noisy throttle signal or a ESC that detects wrong sensor values. Never seen that before and did different tests with my board(s) and don’t have any issues at all. No matter what i try.

well I used 2 different remotes and receivers with same result. Same remotes were used with 4.12 vescs and no probelm. It’s only with the flipsky 6.6 that I saw it. The motors at the moment are sensorless

Seems that the flipsky 6.6 hardware doesn’t work that well with the VESC 6 software. Maybe someone with a original VESC 6 who uses a PPM remote and my firmware can verify that that issue doesn’t exist.

yes others suggested to try the original firmware since they do not have that issue. Although I would like to keep having the possibility to swap modes and modify throttle curves. So far it’s fine while riding it.

Maybe you can give the original firmware a try to see if that fixes the issue. Then i can try to find the root cause in the differences of the software which only belongs to the different hardware. So if you have the time that would be great. I don’t have any vesc 6 or clone myself.

Ok I will try. No problem. Here the video you asked. Be prepared something new. Now the salve motor (closer to the camera) was try to spin in the other direction and when it does that the master clogs and even if you accellarate does not go faster. Anyhow the old behavior is still there but as you can see didn’t happen always this time. It is a bit random. More towards the end you will see it.

Data from Master, FOC sensorless.

Hey guys did you ever fix the problem @rey8801? I have soft brakes on my 2 separate flipsky 6.6’s.

Hi! Yes both me and @Winflysolved it by increasing the setting. So basicaly I had motor max 50, moto min - 50 and Batt max 25 and min - 6. I went to - 60 motor max and - 11 battery min. I guess some components is different on these vesc thst make them to handle regenerative braking differently. You can go evenper, as long you check your telentry data and see thst you are not sending back too much current.

2 Likes

I have similar problems to those described above my Flipsky Vesc 6.6. I have two of these that each exhibit strange behavior in FOC mode. Here’s what I’ve discovered. Note these issues are only present in FOC mode.

1. If I run the motor config wizard, then the VESC performs just fine (brakes as it should, with smooth, strong braking force). That is…until I turn the vesc off and back on again.
  2. If I turn the vesc off and then back on, the behavior gets weird. I have one Flipsky 6.6 vesc that continues to run at a lower speed when the brakes are applied (i.e., it won’t stop), and second Flipsky 6.6 that slowly comes to a stop with virtually no braking force at all.
  3. If I then re-run the motor wizard, then both vesc’s run just as they should again…until I reboot the vesc.

This seems to be a bug in the FLIPSKY hardware. There’s no reason why re-booting the vesc should change the configuration or behavior.

UPDATE: One of my esc’s is defective, and FLIPSKY customer service was super responsive and immediately shipped me a new one. With my other (good) esc: after reading @rey8801’s comments, I was able to get the braking force at the level I want (even after the re-boot). I had to crank my settings WAY up though (motor max current brake = -100, batt max current brake = -30, which seems kind of insane for a 6355 190kv motor). The behavior is still different after the re-boot (not sure why that is), however with these settings my FLIPSKY 6.6 is braking just fine (after reboot), and performing quite well.

I had point 2 as well but only with no load. Once I ride them no problem whatsoever.