Alon (aluminium oxynitrade)

Hello I would like to discuss the logistics of the use of “ALON” for esk8 applications. I have known for a few years about the concept, but only recently learned of its supposed chemical make up. More so its use in commercial industry. Does any one here know of this substance? Its straight outta star trek but appearently its at least been researched.

Skip to 3:23 for the impatient

1 Like

It’s basically a glass where you ganna use for Esk8?

Well depending on its plasticity and its hardness I was thinking it would make good decks, trucks, and enclosures. One of the applications listed was armor plating so im wondering how alon compares to standard aluminum, carbon fiber and the likes… “_ALON-based armor has been shown to stop multiple armor-piercing projectiles of up to 50 cal” I guess the over all result im imagining is a transluecent build that would kinda feel like floating.

In order to be worthwhile, it has to be somehow better than the materials we use today, but it also has to be practical. Is it lighter? Cheaper? Does it have better heat-conducting properties? The aluminum alloys we use for motor mounts today (for example) are already very strong, enough that we don’t worry too much about damaging them in the course of normal use, even off-road. Aluminum trucks also exist here and there I believe. On the other hand, you could make all that with titanium, but why would you? It’s more expensive, and while it may be lighter and stronger, most people likely won’t ever put so much stress on their gear that they truly need them to be titanium. This is what Alon is up against and has to compete with.

1 Like

Im sorry but did you read the provided link that I posted to aid in conceptualization? 85% as hard as sapphire.2in of this stuff is stronger that 4 inches of bullet proof glass.

I get what you mean through, does this stuff really have what it takes? That’s what im trying to break down. Ceramic does have good thermal absorption. There is a bit in there about modualtion of aluminium content to change the usable properties. As for cheaper thats probably not the case since this is still relatively new. Im going to keep looking into this. Im going to guess say this material would be less expensive than titanium.

but it is aluminium based composit/ceramic. only application is so far in experimental military vehicle and space shuttles. of course because it cost a lot to make. and I think it is also hard to produce in large quantities since u need pressure chamber and oven that run for like 3 days. but if it is available, why not. people like see through stuff. you can actually use butane blow torch the tin foil and make it clear, to see the effect

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

I looked up this stuff. It’s not really suited for our application. It’s more likely to crack from too much vibration. It has a fracture toughness of 2.0 MPa·m^(1/2) versus aluminum between 0.5 and 10 MPa·m^(1/2), but it depends on the construction.