Alternative ESC - ODrive

Even in such cases we have been generous.

3 Likes

I know, just trying not to fanboy too much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems that I’ve overstepped my boundries and made some bold claims. I haven’t tried the HW V6 yet and I’m not sure how it’s going to go so I’m sorry for those claims.

1 Like

Interesting. I had a brief look on thier Hompage (im at work) and it seems that you’d need to ensure good cooling if youre planning to go over 40A continous load - meaning a (loud ) fan = more bulk.

That could pose a problem for those that live in hilly areas and/or builds with less space.

My very first build was a 6S with a Trackstar 150A ESC. That thing had a 40x40mm cooling fan blowing nonstop on a heatsink and was loud as hell. I had puzzled ppl head turning whenever i entered indoors and forgot to turn my board off :rofl: The fans sound and my battery enclosure definately made them feel discomforted (enclosure looked more like a diy bomb) :rofl:

By cooling they probably refer to the heatsink, I havn’t seen any vescs with active cooling yet :smiley: I run my vescs at 50A each(100A/2) I probably never hit that level but my vescs never get hot to the touch. They probably would If i were to do something besides city riding tho.

I have seen one. I think it was from a French guy with dual escapes in a waterproof box which had two esc size big fans mounted on top. Not sure it was ever necessary to really cool them externally, but he made it.

iv had my Hobbywing Ezrun MAX6s over two years now and well as i stated, the vesc6 wasn’t available or if it was it was in a very early prototype stage at that time, also regarding the vesc6’s price, 225£ i believe? correct me if im wrong but that is per unit so for so for a twin motored setup your need 2 so definitely not worth it for me personally since im very happy with my @Nowind inspired mtb max6 build. ill definitely consider vesc6 if my max6’s ever fail though but having other options will always be welcomed.

1 Like

I’m glad you like the one you choose, awesome! But its hard to compare the level of tech of the vesc vs. a massproduced generic esc.

If the price is the problem, the project is opensource, use the schematics build your own pcbs, the BoM is 90 USD. Nothing stopping you.

To make it short: Open air with just heatsinks @ 13.2C ambient temp. - under 40A.With additional PC fan 80mmx80mmx 70-80A. With overkill fan up to 90A.

Read about thermal limits of the ODrive here:

Honesty, I dont see the Odrive as an alternative to the VESC considering that information. Since the ambient air temperature in summer is more than 13C and we all put our ESCs in enclosures that means that the Odrive needs to be reliably cooled or it will overheat (thats just talking about street boards…I dont see it surviving off-road)

Hey my man. Can you please tell me more about the ESC first shift spending hundreds and hundreds on vescs and focboxes I would love an alternative

You get what you pay for. The BoM on the VESC6 is approx 95 dollars/unit(Mouser). Thats without any profit margin, unsoldered, no heatsinks or connectors.

Odrive is probably comparable to the VESC but seems like a jungle to configure.

I would like for you to build me one… Please. How much? Also, is this needed for my new Focbox UNITY??

My hourly fee is 120 eu/hr. It takes 4-5 hours to solder a vesc, u do the math :sweat_smile:

1 Like