American Vendors: We need you to do better

Interesting and I’ll even admit that might lack of knowledge really lead to the naivety of this post and topic as a whole, so I do appreciate everyone’s comments since it’s helping shape my thoughts on this.

Again , I ain’t mean no I’ll will against any US vendors since I do love you guys. I’m just frustrated at the rate of diverse offerings that the EU has compared so the US

God…I’m sounding like Donald Trump… someone hit me already.

2 Likes

It’s all good. Just understand there are some great parts to be had in US. I’m really at a loss as to what is not available that is actually important. The only thing that comes to mind is gear drive systems.

2 Likes

Great perspective and I appreciate you sharing it. But it is one-sided specifically for a DIY Consumer which is a very small market. In a business sense, it can be good but can also be bad. Just depends on what your goals are of course. True DIY’ers make their own parts hence the reason why there are so many options available on Thingiverse but those parts will always typically always be a DIY part (not enough scale, niche item, not many people will need or want it as it’s not a complete solution).

Selling smaller niche items or 3d printed parts is a temporary bandaid solution. No need for us to sell that if you can just 3d print it. A 3D printer costs about $200 for a small decent one nowadays.

We’re currently focusing on R&D to change the landscape and provide more reliable commercial products for the DIY Market as well as a Pre-built market.

As a small business, you can’t scale complete diversity… Only large corporations like Amazon/Walmart/etc can scale diversity because they have unlimited man power and capital to do so.

It’s the same reason why Enertion has one board and one board only and it only makes good business sense to do it in that way.

10 Likes

@TinnieSinker does great batteries right here at home for a reasonable price.

America’s not so bad. The finest and most commercially successful electric longboard in the world is designed a few miles from my home in Mountain View, California - and North American-designed products dominate regular longboarding and skate.

I also take heart seeing a focus on platforms and not parts.

Lacroix just set the bar for this; instead of manufacturing 10 different decks with 10 different purposes, Lacroix launched one focused, esk8-only platform and they’ve catapulted themselves from literal obscurity to being reviewed among the best esk8 platforms in the world.

Likewise, Kaly’s remix of the Trampa formula - up-armoring a Trampa for Brooklyn road duty and giving it enough juice to cross Manhattan - platform.

I even think we’re seeing a whole new class of “Super Duty” AT sleds emerge, like the new @psychotiller and @treenutter collab on the Red Ember 44 that’s designed specifically for Psycho Six Shooters on Surf Rodz.

I understand your point; an American firm could easily design a cohesive line of esk8 accessories for the DIY enthusiast.

It seems to me, however, that the wind in the Americas is blowing towards more esk8 platforms, instead of any dedicated focus on parts. I think that’s good. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Seriously I don’t mind waiting for parts to arrive because truth be told most purchases are made on line nowadays anyway but to be able to walk into a shop and pick up a set of six shooters just makes me jealous as all hell lol I was reading @psychotiller post about new wheel stock and @thisguyhere said don’t ship mine i’ll pick them up wow to be able to do that! lucky bastards!! That said most of the major parts that I do order are shipped from the states. Its not even the lack of vendors over here that gets me its the lack of machine shops where you can get small parts made up. Yes there are lots of fabricators out there but unless you are buying serious amounts won’t do a one off or small order at all. Just not interested.
The market in the US is so much bigger too especially used parts and such. So many times something I really want pops up on here and is stateside. So moral is Revel in what you have guys it could be so much worse!!

5 Likes

Fuck yeah, bruh. Those come with blinking pink LEDs inside, right?

1 Like

You know it :grin:

The first Skateboards in the world were manufactured in the US. I think it’s cool that some segments of the industry are lead in other countries. Skating should be a global experience; with a global community!

7 Likes

@pat.speed y’all also have awol, I wanna try an awol build but they don’t ship to us :frowning:

I quite like the deck, it’s very stiff and has some nice concave. The shape of the co cave is a little different though, it’s not rounded like usual it’s flat

I wanna buy one :frowning:

Maybe try contacting them, I think they have an online shop too

They don’t ship outside aus… I did… my ex was gonna send me one but she found out I was dating someone new and got jealous (despite the fact that we have been broken up for a couple years) but yea

1 Like

Ahh, I would but I’m only 16 and I don’t think handling money and goods is a great idea, maybe try @Cobber sorry

1 Like

oh, na ur good man haha, i’ll get one eventually…

awol? who are these awol people eh? checking now

1 Like

Italian Eskating.eu simply rock!! Just in a blink, the last few months increased its items offering exponentially, both in cuantity and quality. Their delivery datelines are top notch. Frigging esk8 company.

Another company its been growing and delivering tons of new items lately is US DIY Electric Skateboards.

I think american CUSTOMERS need to do better.

You may have noticed an abrupt pause to my retail selection. This is because i didn’t stomach the over $5000 in charge backs i had this year very well. Apparently its perfectly ok to call the bank and get all of your money back and still not return any of the items you received. I’m going to remember this the next time i need to refurnish my fucking house, i guess.

That’s only one minor reason i’m focusing on my own boards and less on wierd bullshit and side projects and trying to put kits together. Another reason is this: without substantial startup capital there is no real money in retail of DIY esk8 parts. If you can’t reach a critical volume fast enough, you end up playing catch up the rest of the time. Trying to claw your way up by leapfrogging bulk orders and using this to pay for that and that to pay for the next thing only works if you happen to nail the demand most of the time. This is why TB is successful, and Enertion. When Dexter isn’t coming up with his own shit, he’s asking people like me what would be on our wish lists. For example, he hit me up and probably about a dozen other people when he was about to release his 218mm trucks. he kept revising his motor mounts because they kept being crap, but all the while he sold the shit out of them.

Enertion leveraged the community to get started, created a community to maintain itself, and will eventually leave the community once its purpose has ended. They are the titans of leapfrogging. Easily construed with bloodthirsty sharks, as well.

Evolve is the epitome of maximizing sales while minimizing effort. I’ve never seen a board with simpler construction or more basic parts. Even ArcBoards are more complex in most ways. They give no fucks about it, either. All the way to the bank.

But people like me? Shit. If i can do better, fucking hell. Maybe somebody would like to show up at my shop with a quarter million in capital and then we can talk about doing better. It took me three fucking years to go from “taking money so i can build boards” to “building boards so i can then take money.” Its probably going to be another three years before i can have stock to sell in actual retail locations. Or, maybe, somebody could pay me to quit my day job. That would probably eliminate a lot of the issues i’m having.

And if i quit doing the evolve mods i won’t be able to keep the biills paid to keep doing any of this shit… but man they are a time suck.

The struggle is real.

19 Likes

That is terrible, straight up theft!

Interesting , When I made this post is was less so directed and vendors like you and psycho since i cosidered you guys a different kind of vendor as opposed to one like Unik.

I’m learning alot from this post as well as the others and you made a great point earlier. I’m not going to change the title as it would be like me covering up my mistake and arrogance but I will as you and the other vendors this: what can we , the consumers, do better?

1 Like