Angled Risers Explained (Infographic)

NOTEThese image looks to be for skateboard, not longboard. I’m not sure if the effects the same way due our kingpin direction

I’m sure many have wondered how angled risers work. I learn by doing, watching and feeling, as reading only gets me so far. I found an image made by “Tracker” that really explains all the different setups and what the result is, These are the best resolution I found…pay attention to where the kick tail is.

1 Like

I wonder if having a reverse kingpin setup changes this in any way.

1 Like

Not just wedges, but the truck angles themselves, trucks come in different angles and each company makes different angles, so the wedges is more of a fine tune of that same angle in the truck. What angle are your trucks? Me? I use a 35 degree rear truck unwedged, and a front 45 degree truck wedged another 10 to 55. My rear board-side bushing is a white Riptide chubby for traction and the rear road-side bushing is a Riptide krankz barrel. Front board-side is a white alps barrel and front road-side is a krankz barrel. Trucks are 160mm hangers on 90mm wheelbase of 31.9 inches…on a 41 inch deck…and it carves like a surfboard, it’s so much fun. If you make any skateboard turn from the front and balance it with a stable rear end, it feels like a sick surfboard…and won’t wobble at higher speeds…

1 Like

good point… will add that in the text. forgot that this looks more to be skateboard and not longboard related!

1 Like

RTK and TKP trucks all have a pivot, and a pivot angle, they share all the same measurements, like truck angle, hanger width, rake and so on…the big differences are in feel and what they are made for. RKP trucks will not wobble at higher speeds, while the TKP truck will be better for slow speed and shorter boards.

This is really useful, I always wondered what impact these had. Would be especially useful if there was one for longboards with the reverse kingpin trucks. It is also very useful for those that want to bring their motors a little higher off the ground but still have a stable board.

here’s some good info on it…wedges change this very same thing…learning about how they impact each other is important, some decks are angled too so that has to go into your setup equation as well… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEkT1j_zIVA

1 Like

This is another good one but is specific to Reverse King Pin and longboards…basically

Anywhere that is turn more is lean less Anywhere turn less is lean more.

1 Like

hanger rake figures in to it as well as Squishy mentioned, it can stabilize the center point or give you a faster dive in to corners depending on the “flip” (if your hanger has any offset). The “flip” that stabilizes the truck center point also drops the ride height of the board.

think of it as rake affecting the way the trucks turns on a curve, not linear like truck angle (baseplate) does and the two are additive.

but rake is a fine tuning thing where as with a baseplate you can make a big change.

2 Likes