Another VESC Blown

Do you have a dual setup or a single?

I’ve run 40 each on TB vescs and have blown 2

I’ve read that they’re just problematic

I just ordered focboxes myself

I run dual 6355 at 50 and -60 for about 5ish months now. But I am a light weight tho…

I guess only time will tell when it fails

heh

“Jumps off sidewalk curb”

2 Likes

ah nice

I’m about 180 lbs, running dual 6374. Idk. Maybe i’ll lower it even further than 40 when i get focboxes

I’m about 120 lbs. How did your TB vescs fail? sudden failure?

I’m considering Flipsky’s esc.

1 Like

Yup exactly

I’m in the process of retiring all of my 4.1x series. Consider this an upgrade opportunity? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am 180. I would like to upgrade but that’s not in the budget right now. I’m two VESCs deep on this build now.

Won’t matter. The letters only affect the way the DRV is packaged (eg: comes in plastic reel or, paper reel).

I replaced the DRV with one I had lying around. The DRV was new but it had previously been attempted to be soldered on another VESC. The DRV does not show any signs of failure though. After I replaced it, I powered it on. Found I had a short on one of the DRV pins and fixed it. Powered on again and found that the D5 diode was hot. I replaced it and the board turned on for about 2 seconds before going dark again. I have a short between the D5 diode I think, the 5v and GND on the servo connector have continuity. I have another diode to try, but that doesn’t help me if it is going to short again somehow. I believe D5 and D4 are both fried somehow since I am getting .12 volts either way I test them. UPDATE: Turned on the VESC even though it was getting hot. D5 got so hot it unsoldered itself, but after it did, the board came on and I am connected in the VESC tool. What does D5 do, and can I run it without? And what could cause D5 to short?

D5 clamps any overvoltage on the 5V rail before it destroys the microcontroller/CPU. The DRV8302 provides the 5V. It can run without it, but it’s a safety device which should probably be replaced. The servo receiver also uses the 5V supply rail for power.

Maybe the diode I pulled off another VESC was broken, but when I replaced it, it did the same thing the other one did. NO power and and gets hot. I pulled it back off and it was working. Could there something else that could cause a good diode to go bad in that case? Or did I have a bad diode.

Using a multimeter, check the voltage on the pads when the diode is removed, or the voltage on the servo power and ground pins

IMG_20180812_182802 Does anybody know what the reason for this could be? I have ran the same setup for 2 years. I installed a new button on my anti spark switch and after a couple of rides, this happened.

1 Like

Not sure what happened. Had the system on and tried to spin the motor up and it blew up the mosfet switch and the motor didn’t spin. If I use a lab power supply, is there a way to see if the VESC is sending power through the phase wires?

Have you tried turning it on and off again?

4 Likes

jesus christ, did you summon a demon? :slight_smile:

Haha, it scared the crap out of me. The mosfet on the spark switch freaking exploded. Time to order a new one, but more importantly, inspect the VESC.

1 Like

No, there´s a hole in it…:slight_smile: