Anti Spark Power Switch

Hi, I’m going to buy a power switch for my Esk8, I saw a lot of Power Switches that look like a vesc. They are beautiful but so Expensive. Are They really necessary or I can buy a normal one?

I can’t say that’s a straight forward questions to answer. There’s some anti-spark switches, like vedder’s anti-spark switch and it’s variations. They generally use a pretty simple push-button switch to control a relatively more complicated circuit with a few mosfets (black squares, just like on the top of the vesc). If you’re referring to these, no they’re not necessary, though many like them a lot.

As for alternatives, the only real anti-spark option I’m aware of is an anti-spark loop key with an xt-90 connector or something similar.

I’m not sure what you mean by “normal one”. If you’ve got links I may be able to give you a better idea.

I mean a Switch like this one https://www.amazon.com/Splash-Resistant-Latching-U-S-Solid/dp/B00W85G0F4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1486256228&sr=8-12&keywords=on+off+led+switch

Ah okay. No, you can’t use that switch by itself. You’re most likely going to go way over what it’s rated for. That’s the kind of switch that I was referring to as the one that controls a more complicated circuit with a few mosfets. So that may be the only thing you see from the outside (on other builds for example) but I guarantee that’s not the only thing there.

So I can use it, but with mosfets? Which one should I use to turn my Board On and Off? I want a Fancy one like this

You can use it, but you’d need a anti-spark switch board (most likely something like the expensive switch you were referring to)

Can I make a Anti Spark Switch my self?

Yeah! If you know how to solder and have the equipment, and you’ll most likely need a hot air gun, then sure! I did.

Could I use one of this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/171907590479?rmvSB=true

Also no. There is not a single mechanical switch that I would trust to handle the whole thing on it’s own. They just cannot handle the amount of voltage and current we’d put through them… Your options are anti-spark loop key or vedder-like anti-spark switch.

There is a Man Called Grat Scott that used one of this on his Esk8. But I’m still having troubles to understand, I just want to Turn Battery on and off by the Bms

@IsTalo I bought this one https://www.proto-boards.com/product-page/vedder-spark-switch-assembled-kit-uk

It is kinda the same switch you linked to. But you need the other part to make it save for your VESC. And I read in an other topic not all led switch are good to use, not sure anymore why not.

Hope it helps

1 Like

diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/electric-skateboard-on-off-power-switch/

I’m looking at this for my build. It has a fancy button and everything. little pricey though.

Seriousl, I have one and Love it

1 Like

I would not use any switches from amazon. I bought two, the first one i thought was good, but then i realized it was only rated for12 volts. So then i bought another one that was rated 5 amps 35 volts. I hooked it all up and when i pulled the throttle, it just fried it because my BMS pulls 45 amps. I would use this: collections/electrical-connectors/products/on-off-power-switch-electric-skateboard Its pricey but definitely works the best.

Man, this post is old, I already bought a anti spark

you loose 0.5 V on a on/off switch…

Which one did you buy