Any one used HobbyKing Vesc?

straight from the horse’s mouth

Hm, what? Differences between 4.10 and 4.12 is thickened trace and one capacitor.

It is clearly written by the man himself in the thread linked:

4.10 - 4.12 are very similar and use the same firmware. The difference from 4.10 to 4.11 is that I made a trace thicker, and the difference from 4.11 - 4.12 is that I added a capacitor to GVDD on the DRV8302

The capacitor part is simple, but doesnt the trace part must be important otherwise it wouldnt have been added. since I would be using 12S, the chance of arcing and heat generation is higher so wouldnt the thicker trace be a must?

This is a GitHub commit for the change: Small update of trace, no significant changes · vedderb/bldc-hardware@4395c66 · GitHub

Small update of trace, no significant changes

I don’t think it is that important :wink:

Here is a nice game, can you spot the difference :slight_smile:

I think I have found it. is it on the right bridge part?

1 Like

When you factor in that it comes with a one year warranty, it’s actually a pretty good deal. Often that is an additional $60-70

Thats the only reason I was planning on going for Hk instead of maytech as if I run it into the ground I can just get a refund.

Get the torqueboards one instead :slight_smile: I just had a talk with an owner of both HK and maytech ones he upgraded to the torqueboards one and he is never going back.

And it’s not that much more :slight_smile:

The only problem with that is its atleast £40 more expensive than the HK and doesnt include shipping or a wanntey unless I shellout another £60. PLus it doest tell me how much shipping actually is and I would still need to pay import tax. The niceity of the Hk is its shipped within Eu and is much cheaper with a warrenty.

If I had more money to spend on this project I would definitely get 4 more vesc 6’s as I already have 1 and its amazing. but I am trying to keep the cost of the board down to a minium without sacrificing quality ( or spending extra after a vesc blows )

The torqueboards wont really blow unless you really do something bad, also i ordered mine outside of US / In EU and i dont expect to pay anything high in import duty at all since they label the price at 35 USD When shipping :slight_smile:

Thoes cheeky buggers.

Problem still is its quite a price hike for a cheap project. the jump from £62 to £100 isnt as drastic for one chip. but thats a £120 jump over 4. Would you say its really worth the extra cash for marginal performance gain?

Yeah that’s not true. I did everything by the book. Conservative limits. Never even considered FOC. Even powered it for the first time with a certified lab power supply. Yet my VESC from Torqueboards still failed

1 Like

I have a brand new torque and a used maytech for sale here. http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vescs-for-sale-uk-eu-price-drop/32248

1 Like

OOO very interesting. I might have to pop you a pm!

I’m considering getting 4 for myself, if I add 4 for you we could get the price down to perhaps $90. Would you be interested?

Unfortunatly thats still quite a high price when you factor in shipping to the uk and what not. to be honnest I was planning on getting a single one to start with to check quality. So I am going to have to politely decline :confused:

(that and the reason I was asking about the vescs isnt because of a 4wd board Like I mentioned. its actually for a super cool project that will be posted up in the next month or two using multiple motors onto a single wheel to create a super quick racer )

I’m not insisting or whatever, but 90 including shipping. You would have them in the U.K. for $360 total.

Thats actually an amzing deal. If I had the cash right now I would say yes to that… unfortuantly I dont, so this post was mostly intended as research into which ones to get.

When did it happen? I’ve seen them been running with Foc no problem if it’s a little while ago it’s the older versions before they upgraded caps and bootloader and more.

Same for me, DRV error in the detection, never managed to spin the motor, is has warranty, but if you are from outside the states you have to return it at your own cost, not worth