Anyone else had issues with zippy batteries?

I think you simply over discharge them (AKA drain them 0%). If you do this often, I think it’s dying in about 10 cycle.

My old zippy’s i stored the with full charge and got puffy, they still work like a charm tough. My new ones are still looking brand new after 2 months.

I used Zippy Compacts for a while 2 6s/5000 in series and in parallel sometimes to cruise the boardwalk. They get a little swollen but not extreme and I just checked the internal resistance periodically to make sure there ok. They sure deliver a lot of power for climbing hills!

I went 14 miles on yours bud…they work great @Namasaki

Gonna use them up tonight

Cool! Ya, you just can’t beat Lipos for performance.

I’ve been using a single 6s 8000mah zippy Flightmax for 2 years now, and it was a used battery when I got it. It doesn’t hold the same amount of power it used to but I still get over 5km out of it twice a day. (I charge to 4.2v, drain to 3.8v for each trip)

You should invest in a good charger $50+ I was using one of those cheepo ones and I broke a battery by under charging it and when watting for a new charger I used my science teachers with no screen or anything and it over charged the cap out of one and its still puffed up but I’m still using the battery

1 Like

This is the charger I use: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-SKYRC-Power-6Amps-50Watts/dp/B00ND7J38C

That’s weird, you could probably return it and try something else ,this is what I use and it’s worked grate

I guss I didn’t post my screen shot, Venom 2-4 Cell AC/DC RC LiPo Dual Battery Balance Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GYPG5JU/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_KH.5xbM9RVQ02

Also make sure you finish charging each all the way if not you’ll kill one I’ve done it twice

My 4s is 120C!

Used Zippys for years on helis, quads, and now boards. No problems.

You need to be careful with lipos, and also understand what you are doing.

Chargers are not “designed to charge one pack”. They are designed to charge at a max current (amps) and voltage. That’s it. You can charge as many packs as you like at the same time, as long as you don’t exceed the charger specs. When you charge a 6s pack, you are actually charging 6 batteries at the same time, in series.

Charging in parallel is straighforward and heli flyers have been doing it for years. All you are doing is increasing the capacity. You can leave your charger on the settings for one pack, and it will take twice as long, or, if your charger has teh power, you can double the charging amps and charge in one hour. There is no reason it should leave your packs out of balance. They self balance.

Do yourself a favour - the balance leads you get with your charger, put them asside and charge without them. Then, once in a while , if you feel like giving your batteries a “service”, individually balance charge them. You reall DONT need to balance charge all the time. It’s a myth, and an obsession .

If you end up with a pack where once cell constantly is weaker than the rest, live with it, or bin the pack. I have some that do that, and I just live with it. It hardly affects performance.

Don’t run packs under 20% capacity and you’ll be fine. I keep seeing people run their packs below 20% and that’s the sure way to put the cells out of balance, puff the packs, and ruin them.

There is nothing wrong with lipos, nor Zippy. They just need care when charging and dont’ like being over discharged.