Anyone else second guess their work?

Anyone else get stressed when they go to charge their lipos? I built a 12s 6000mah battery with the Bestech bms. It didn’t explode the first time I charged but every time I go to charge all I see in my head is my apartment burning down. The board has run just fine the first few times I’ve taken it out. I’m fairly certain I have the shut off point set correctly for draining. I even have a 50lb bag of sand sitting next to it ready to go if there is a fire. Is it just me after seeing some of the horror stories around here?

3 Likes

Just your OCD giving you a hard time. I know. OCD sucks.

I had the same fear. A simple and cheap solution is to make a fire safe.

I built one out of 3/4" cement fiber board from a hardwarestore. Its just a big box held togehtor with any sort of L shaped bracket and then a layer of any stone based grout/plaster/cement on the inside corners. Close that bad boy up and it would atleast contain the flames until they die down. The smoke would be forced out, but smoke wont burn anything down atleast. Mine is big enough to store 2 boards and all my batteries for my building service neatly underneath my work bench.

2 Likes

All the time. Everytime I charge my spud (once every day/ two days), I flip it upside down and stand there with a temperature gun for a minute or two to check for any absurdly high numbers

One day Ill find something wrong, but for now I guess I’m ‘wasting my time’ :P

1 Like

I charge my board in the bathroom, because not much you can burn there.

1 Like

On the deck as far away from the house as possible and never late in the evening when I might crash out. I live in a 40 year old wooden house too. I have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors everywhere and some really heavy duty insurance but I’m not sure how a “my skateboard did it” would go down with them

3 Likes

my cat sleeps on my charger cuz its warm :rofl:

hope it doesn’t spontaneously combust!

2 Likes