Anyone know why I would be getting sparks in between my wheel pulleys and motor mount?

bet if you use kapton tape and further isolate things you will end up with a stronger spark somewhere as the voltage will build. soon you will have a respectable van de graff generator worthy of demonstrations.
maybe make a connection between points so it releases the energy and it doesn’t have time to build

@Hummie

Not sure how I would connect considering the wheel pulley needs to spin freely, and the mount is stationary. I see what you’re saying though.

Seems strange to me that no one else has encountered this with all the different belt drives on here.

Possible nobody noticed, you can’t be the only with this setup. I would definitely make sure all your electronics, any wiring extensions are well insulated. Maybe this is what kills vescs on first run…

1 Like

I’m pretty positive this is caused by the friction between the rubber belt and plastic tension pulley. I don’t see any way of fixing this other than changing the idler material or making a ground wire that attaches to the mounting plate and then rubs along the inside of the wheel pulley. Even so, you will be feeding that static energy into the motor via the mount.

1 Like

Wrap the idler with kapton? Yes I use kapton on everything :rofl:

2 Likes

If that will prevent the static buildup, sure! lol it’s worth a try.

1 Like

So this is just from static buildup though right, it’s not actually drawing any voltage from my batteries? I have a very limited understanding of electronics.

hehe I hope you wrap it in kapton tape and then it builds such a high voltage that it fucking blows up!!! and hope everything and you are ok but get it on film.

I think with the static charge it could discharge to many places and it need not be a circuit. I doubt it would mess up the esc but maybe it could.

You can run a wire that is constantly brushing on the wheel pulley, into your truck, that would ground it to the truck. Just be careful with what may get shocked c:

@Hummie

Dude :flushed: Relax bro, what the heck :joy:

1 Like

Oh that’s nothing Its just plastic and rubber creating a static charge. Just use some tape on on the motor mount or paint it and it will be gone.

1 Like

I recon if your idler was metal there wouldn’t be an issue

1 Like

assuming it doesn’t damage thing, which maybe it would I don’t know, but assuming it doesn’t it’s pretty awesome. a feature that hasn’t reached it’s full potential. If you could further isolate things and get that spark bigger that could be an awesome show shooting sparks. maybe if you had the pulley further to the ground than the mount you could leave a trail of sparks in the night. safety feature.

2 Likes

@Hummie

If the shooting sparks doesn’t damage it, the spikestrips my neighbors will leave out surely will :wink:

I can see the headlines now: some asshole with an electric skateboard… :joy:

Yea, I think it’s a static electricity thing, like a balloon rubbing on your hair.

2 Likes

maybe that makes me an asshole because riding around at night shooting sparks to the ground the faster you go sounds damn awesome. it’s so quiet I cant see the neighbors complaining. if you fully insulate the whole mount and hanger so the closest place for the pulley to discharge is the ground I wonder if it would work.

@Hummie

It’s not the sound I would be concerned about, it’s the fire hazard. We’ve had tons of fires all through this area recently.

It would look pretty cool with sparks flying out the bottom of this thing at night though. Seen some kids do this with slide gloves.

Would be nice to know if other Users of this/my/Etoxx Beltdrive get the same special effect … maybe @racidon could tell

If so i have to increase the price significant Its no Bug its a feature :joy:

2 Likes

Haha make this “feature” safe to only shot thunders to ground and i would be interested =)) haha

That´s the ignition for @Nowind new “Eboard special effects” video :monkey: Teaser here:

2 Likes