Anyone know why my koowheel hubs are doing this?(with ownboard esc)

If cogging was someone tripping, this would be them faceplanting :joy::sob::sob::sob:

Rip me

Sorry about your ESC

I have a slightly used less than 25 miles koolwheel esc that comes w/remote that I took off carvon Exo. It comes with 9 pin connector so it may not work with your current hubs with bullet connectors. I have enclosure for the esc and 10s3p battery w/battery. Let me know if you are interested.

1 Like

Thanks, but unfortunately I’m gonna pass, as my battery was from @hyperIon1 and doesn’t come with their(koowheel) bms(they have the same catch as evolve, right? Bms helps control everything else)

All good. Just throwing that out there.

I’m not totally sure koolwheel makes BMS. They for sure make your electrical speed control for dual motors. I believe you can use any battery to power koolwheel ESC.

1 Like

I tried using sime 97mm koowheel hubs with an ownboard esc and had the same issue. I think they just are not compatable? I ended up switching from a 9 pin to bullet connectors and using a diyeboard dual esc and it works fine…

1 Like

Koolwheel does not work with skull board hub motors but works with carvon TD drives. It seems companies that make ESC only work with companies hubs or modified company hubs

Damnit Bobby!

(-hank hill)

Thanks for the info though! (Maybe you know :slight_smile: ) Do koowheel escs need bms?

I read that each ESC is programmed to specific motor (motor detection) this means that any other motor will simply not work. So you could get either koowheel ESC or vesc

If it’s a esc you can’t set limits on, that would be the reason. Most are bldc controllers and are set to OEM equipment. Specific for that controller. It would create a problem from both ends. Battery to high in volts/amps and motor not rated for bldc controller

2 Likes

I had the same problem maybe 6 months ago Koolwheel hub motor and wowgo esc. Nothing could be done. I ended up abandoning the set up. I contacted wowgo and they dont even know why it does not work.

Speed controllers need to understand specifics of the motors. No two brands of motors are the same. Winding resistance, flux link, and a few other numbers change from motor to motor. These numbers are important for the esc to function properly.

The ESC always makes this buzzing sound. I think the ESC is fine. The Ownboard hubs and the Koowheel hubs have different KV’s your hubs spin way faster on half throttle then mine which are the proprietary ones, I am guessing you are hitting the erpm limits of the ESC.

2 Likes

Get you a dual or two single vesc of some sorts and you should be fine. I had them hooked up to a focbox for testing. Tested both sides individually and had no problems. Your esc is limiting the hubs.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: I think I’ll use my focboxes

1 Like

What? I need to check the topic.:rofl:

I tagged you in hopes that you’ve seen this issue with your esc + hubs before, and if you know any way to remedy it. I understand it’s an ownbaord esc, but I hope it’s similar enough for you to help(please :D) :slight_smile:

Each ESC is programmed to specific hub motor (motor detection). Do you use Koowheel hub motors? That might be the reason. How about using Wowgo ESC+Remote+motors to have a try? :joy:

And, we have not experiences this with Wowgo ESC. :grin: