Anyone made a electric scooter?

Got a rough idea of what parts i would need?? thanks everyone for there help!

The essentials are of course motor, batteries, controller. Both the motor and controller can be be beefier than on an esk8, since you have something to hold onto. Batteries can also be larger, which will allow more power and range.

You won’t need a remote/radio/tx/rx, since the throttle can be hardwired and mounted to the handlebars.

Will one motor suffice? how big should i go and how much power should be nesscary to have a 20-25km range? and 50km top speed?

With a big enough motor, one will be more than enough. I would go with a 6374 at minimum, and the sky is the limit from there depending on how much power you want/can handle. I think a 8080 or 80100 would give ample power (>5KW). Range and speed are all about batteries and gearing, not motor side (within reason.)

I assume a scooter will have lower efficiency than an esk8, just due to the (presumably) pneumatic tires having higher rolling resistance. ~500 watt hours should be enough for 25km, even assuming half the efficiency of a typical street esk8.

As for top speed, it all depends on your gearing. Yes, motor KV and battery voltage count too, but those usually get decided on early, so the only thing that’s easy to change is the gear ratio.

@mmaner can you tell me the name of the app? This is for my scooter
 so it doesn’t have sort of UART bluetooth module to send data. I downloaded Speed Box for IPhone but it doesn’t record top speed you have to be looking at the screen. Know anyone that records?

I use an android phone, so I don’t really know. But there should be a lot of speedometer apps available in the apple app store that will use your phone’s GPS to calculate speed.

Well it felt like i was going a lot faster
 speedo said 42mph
 reality
 max was 27.2mph on the gps app.

2 Likes

So it was most probably giving you kmh and not mph then. In that case speedometer seems to be accurate

So I picked up this junker for $20, will update here when/if I do anything with it😋

1 Like

Got a razor scooter at goodwill today for $12. It turns on but nothing happens. So i plan to take it apart and maybe see if it’s worth rebuilding
it seems fairly sturdy for a kids toy

@scepterr did you ever do anything with it??

Anyone know how to link a thumb throttle to a vesc ? Do i need some converter or something like that ?

look up “servo tester” on ebay

it converts a potentiometer (throttle) signal to PWM signals (wireless remote transmitter for vesc)

You can hook it up directly using the ADC app

Thanks man but sorry for being nooby,so i dont need servo tester ? And the « adc app » is a app on the store :stuck_out_tongue: ? I saw few people mentioning «adc pinouts » is it the same as the receiver pinout on a vesc ?

@epss4 please do not necro a dozen threads asking a question that has already been answered.

The VESC supports throttle inputs as long as the throttle works at 3.3V. This is done in vesc tool by setting the app configuration to “adc” and connecting the throttle to the appropriate pins on the VESC, namely the ones labeled “ADC1” on the manual that I hope came with the VESC. Red goes to “3.3V”, green goes to “ADC1”, black goes to “Ground” or “-”. The VESC should also have these labeled in silkscreen.

If not, or if you are not using a VESC, use an arduino nano to convert the throttle signal to PPM. There are numerous tutorials on the internet on how to do this. You can also do this with a VESC as well if setting up throttle input in the VESC is too cumbersome.

3 Likes

Thanks man its really appreciated :slight_smile: and sorry for all the thread :sweat_smile: