Anyone tried these hubs from michobby

well @whitepony seemed to look forward to the precision trucks - and he has way more experience and “feel” than I have - so I believe when he says that he is at least excited:

Also I just wanted to say that apparently different trucks matter to some people. For me they don’t (yet?) What probably matters way more is the deck. So if you can use the maytech with “cheap” trucks but attach them to your favorite deck you’ll end up with a “better” ride. it is just like with cars I guess - some journalists seem to feel so many differences between them when for me they basically all feel the same way and get me from A to B.

Lol yeah.

Also, both of you guys make good points about precision trucks.

This is my only question.

Whitepony has some awesome builds, mainly why I got a spud.

the hubs are rubbish:

prepare yourself for urethane slippage. they are relying on friction fit.

sorry, you said they are rubbish. I’ll assume that as you have experience with these particular hubs or own them. Not just because they are similar or even the same but not from Enertion.So tell us what’s your experience with the michobby hubs?

I have them! they are on my bench, i also have hub motors from 3 other Chinese suppliers & have been testing them for over 12 months.

i did a video on some of them…

4 Likes

:kissing:wow,ok. Btw you should do a “Jacob” hubs VS Raptor 2 Hubs

Jacob hubs are the best we have tested (we helped him develop them with data from our testing procedures), we basically took that design and made them 30% larger, upgraded the bearings, improved the thermal dynamics of the motor core, improved the mechanical design, improved the outwheel design, made the outside diameter larger (thicker urethane), discarded aluminum for steel, added sensors & invented a patent pending system to maximise stator cooling.

So the R-SPEC GHOST will win.

6 Likes

looking at this video I’d hardly say Jacob’s won. When your rubber is spinning on the motor how can you even be competing?
Another variable which is overlooked or quickly skimmed over or exaggerated in advertising is speed. There’s compromises in a design for a hub motor, you can have a low kv which will keep cooler on a steep hill but not go as fast. These two motors have very different speed ability. Some people want to go up steep hills and do 22mph and some of us want to REALLY go 30mph

Also in this video the hummie motors are an experimental blue goo batch with the potting on the windings which got hotter.

Speaking of speed and the ghost motor what will be the true speed of them as I think I read they are 70kv and 10s?

How bout less bashing of others and legitimate claims of you’re own Jason. As it is now it seems you’re own motors are only 3D images. You sold based on a non-existant motor and lots of clams.

I believe your motors will be made in China as well

I had those motors made because I’d bought the claimed 6th iteration of Jacobs motors a year earlier and they didn’t work. In my mind they were sold to a lot of us with a lot of bull. Did not work and none did with multiple problems starting with the basic metal parts not being made right and they were all unridable

I really look forward to a honest comparison of the ghost when it finally comes out with the new motors I’ll have on the 13th. That will have to happen a lot time from now I guess and I hope someone around the Bay Area has them so that a more unbiased comparison can be done.

9 Likes

All I can say, is if they are 22 amps max at what, 8s, you will be disappointed. At 12s, I can pull 80 motor amps per motor with a 4wd. The numbers they give speak for themselves… Why buy these when hummie sells far superior motors for about the same price?

The other issue with what @hummie brought up about top speed is, you can claim this or that is your top speed, but theres so many factors in top speed, just like with range, that the numbers are meaningless.

My real top speed right now is about 25 mph on flat. If I go down even a slight incline, I can hit 28 mph. Any company will claim they do the higher speed rather than the lower. I could hit 30 mph easily on a steeper downhill… Do I quote the 30 mph as the boards max speed?

70 kv is a low kv. 80 kv seem to max out at 23 mph for me at 12s, 20 on 10s. 90 kv seem to max out around 25 mph of 12s, 23 mph on 10s. It looks to me like at 70 kv and 10s, I’d expect you to max out around 18 mph on flats. There’s also no way they can get 20+ miles of range on a 10s4p with hubs. Even my first board, which used your supposedly “super efficient” drive train and motor, with 8 Ah at 6s, I got 6 miles of range. at 10s 8 Ah, I would imagine about 9 miles of range. with the 10s 10 Ah, I would imagine 13 miles of range, with an efficient system. Hubs aren’t as efficient, and until a new way of controlling the motor designed for hubs is created, they will be less efficient than belts. I accept this as a trade off for the many many benefits of hubs. But lets no kid ourselves, 10 miles max, in ideal conditions, if you weight 120 pounds, and don’t ride up a lot of steep hills. I run 12s4p and I only get 5 miles of range. Assuming I lose 5 miles of range due to heat loses in the motors (that you claim you won’t have), which may be far exaggerated, I would get 10 miles with your motors in that scenario with my12s4p. It seems to me like 2 points of exaggeration on your behalf @onloop

2 Likes

So much hate and no one haven’t seen yet how these r-spec hubs perform.

3 Likes

think its cool that jason made trucks for the purpose of his hubs and milled aluminium always looks great - but I have no idea how they ride and in the end thats the only thing that counts! :slight_smile:

about “precision trucks” I agree with @saul - just milling a truck might make it egligible to call it a “precision truck”, but in my eyes thats pointless unless they do something that actually makes them precision, like removing slop from kingpin<->hangar or improving pivot friction/damping.

I am running dont trip poppys with spherical hangar bearing on my LDP board and those are truly “precision”, since the slightest lean goes into turn. zero slop on kingpin, very low friction thanks to another spherical bearing for the pivot. a work of art and you can feel it.

cronins are “precision” in my books too, cause their genious support pin makes them super sensitive and precise even though they are cast trucks. the offset of cast ronin to precision ronin is a flexible baseplate, but with 100% exchangable parts between cast and precision, youll have to wonder whats the point of precision vs. cast in that case!

anyway, i really doubt you wouldnt feel the difference @Maxid unless you dont really carve a lot and mostly go fast straight or so. the difference of cronin vs. caliber is really huge.

Anyone tried these?

http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/63mm/alien-power-hub-brushless-motor-for-longboard/

They are new to APS so I doubt anyone would have them yet

They’re an old design. Look to be Jacobs. U can find reviews for them on here

Well the design is not like you posted but looks like this:

A large part still relies on friction though since it seems like the nubs are not going all the way through.

4 Likes