Anyone using polyester resin pigments?

You can put anything in your last coat then finish coat with a uv stable layer of epoxy like the kind I use for making fishing rods and it looks beautiful and flexible without cracking.

I want to use pigments colors whatever so i get rid of scratches if i scratch a paint it will look like shit, but if i fully color the resin there wont be those problems, maybe something like last 3 coats with coal

I Understand the scratch issue. Try using the coal and a matte black gel coat to hide scratches instead of the gloss black. Gel coat needs to be about the thickness of a dime to start being strong.

I was thinking of mixing it with polyester resin

Should work… maybe you could dye fiberglass fibers black cause I know you can buy it and people use it under thin carbon fiber composites to help hide on the corners

1 Like

Coal makes the resin very black! My mistake is that i was tight with time and didnt keep it long enaugh in the blender For the best results I would blend it for a minute or so, but then you will end up still with some pretty big chunks, dump some water in to all of that and blend it for a few seconds so it mixes well, then get a towel or something similar and put the water thru it then take that black water and make it boil and you will end up with the finest powder you can make at home :smiley:

It takes like 15min to do all of that and you can buy 100g of pigment for like 5 pounds but I like to do things on my own even tho it takes 5x time, its fun for me.

The black bubbles are the chunks of coal, I just threw a big shot glass of polyester on this, will post the cured look tonight probably!

@biggdaddyhawk @bigben

I see what you’re saying but the resin still stays reasonably clear with chunks in it… Be careful with the water. Any remaining moisture will play havoc with the curing.

This pic is taken a minute ago, its around 70% cured but its still black as f, glossy too :smiley: Tomorrow I will hold it up in the air and take a pic, and try to find a way to get coal powder without having to clean my blender for half an hour

1 Like

You can get a result like this, perhaps better by using cement pigment. It comes in powder that is finer than coal.

Im too lazy to find that atm so I will give coal another run tomorrow and if im not pleased I will use https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/polyurethane-pigment-jet-black

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/black-transparent-polyester-pigment I think the one you linked is for a polyurethane system?

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/ral-9005-polyester-pigment-jet-black

same name different category I will get this if coal doesn’t work as expected

1 Like

Thats the one, don’t get the one I linked. Thats the transparent one. That would be disappointing!

I would just threw the whole enclosure and the color in a wood chopper, oh wait, you can just get the normal paint and just put another layer

Maybe you could use a belt sander or a grinder first. Then take that and use a mortar and pestle.

Its fully black, like full color 0% transparent Im impressed