Arcing sound coming from charger?

Hey all, just went to plug my board into my 600W that’s been working perfectly since I bought it a few months ago but tonight it wouldn’t charge my board.

It’s got a green light on it that is usually solid when the charger is on but disconnected from a battery or the battery is fully charged. Instead, it was just constantly flickering.

I could hear an arc coming from inside the enclosure so I opened the top to see if I could see where the sound was coming from although unfortunately it wasn’t particularly obvious, although I have a feeling that the sound is coming from near the 240V-36V transformer. I tried turning all the lights off to see if I could see any sparking but still no luck.

On the odd occasion when I turn the charger on, the green LED with flicker for a little bit and then turn solid green and the arcing sound will stop so it certainly just seems like there’s a dodgy connection somewhere.

I’m waiting to hear back from the AliExpress seller but I would very much appreciate any input from anyone who’s a little more experienced with AC-DC power supplies :slight_smile: Here’s a few photo’s of the internals along with a video of the noise:

20180724_19533320180724_19535520180724_195408

Cheers!

It’d be wise to discontinue using this, even if you can get it to work again. Charging lithium cells is dangerous and it’s very important everything is working correctly. I would not risk a building fire just to save the cost of 1 charger

4 Likes