Attaching enclosure without drilling all the way through the deck

yes, I found that too :slight_smile:

The build is essentially finished, but I’ve been away for a week on holiday. If I can be bothered (still in holiday mode) I might have a look at configuring the FOCBOXs this week, otherwise I’ll tackle it next week. Been putting this off since it’s my first time with the BLDC Tool. The horror stories of people frying them are my excuse for procrastination… Right now I have Shrodringers FOCBOXs, and the box is still shut LOL…

1 Like

If the water pump goes bad on that, it probably just needs a catheter

1 Like

Nice so far only found the brass variety of the same, no risk of galvanic corrosion with SS inserts

Exactly. They cost a LOT more on Amazon. Like everything, you could order an infinity from alibaba probably for next to nothing if you don’t mind waiting a lifetime.

But 8mm M4 are on prime. 3 day shipping. They accidentally sent me 30 instead of 20. So win there.

After using the inserts @Eboosted (stainless rivet nut inserts) suggested and the traditional inserts @deckoz uses, I can say I will only use these.

Maybe thats just me. @deckoz have you tried these in any of your mirad of amazing builds?

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Length-Stainless-Tapping-Threaded/dp/B01M0EV31W/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527873564&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=stainless+m4+threaded+inserts&dpPl=1&dpID=41aDtachHNL&ref=plSrch

1 Like

Found em on AliExpress :+1: 20 x m4 SS for €4.something, ordered

1 Like

AliExpress is my new eBay btw, my experience has been much faster shipping for the same price with free ship, from china of course

3 Likes

Link

10char

1 Like

I got the m3 variety from the grocery store of all places, small I know but want to see if big enough

1 Like

Were the M3 inserts beefy enough @banjaxxed?

i would use M4 Inserts just to be sure…

1 Like

lowest I would go is m4 or 8/32

1 Like

E-Z Lok Externally Threaded Insert, 303 Stainless Steel, M4-0.7 Internal Threads, M8x1.25 External Threads, 7.49mm Length, Made in US (Pack of 5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KLT1UC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S-6fCbN75DDDT

Interesting product I haven’t seen offered before. I’d still trust an epoxy most but this would be interesting to test. Anyone have user feedback?

This particular one is for metal. I have the e-z lok for wood they are brass

Agreed. I just don’t want to use brass because it mars more easily. Most boards are a glue, hardwood composite so I think metal threads would be alright. My deck is also 13mm thick so I’m probably just going to use m4 x 10mm

Im using 2 3d pribted frames one on the board and one on the enclosure. The frames are made out of flexible tpe to avoid vibration noise and to achive some sealing aganst dust / splash water In the frames are strong neodym magnets 6 in each frame So when i put the enclosure on it fets alligned through the magnets and to really fixate it ill push it down thts the 2 valcro pieces touch It holds up well and you dont see any screws at all IMG_5853 IMG_5854 IMG_5846 IMG_5852

3 Likes

Looks really good but strong magnets + electronics scares me. Nobody point out that motors run off of magnets. I’m well aware.

1 Like

hmm ok never thought of tht so far i hadnt any issues regading the electronics/motors (FOC, remote signal, Bluetooth signal for the xmatic app) But thts a good point ill keep in mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right on. This was the only thing holding me back from trying magnets myself. Looks so clean and doesn’t damage the deck one bit.

2 Likes

@#$% I needed one of these yesterday… drilled right through my deck because the tape on the drill-bit moved :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread but if my deck is about .5” or 12.7mm would I be fine with a 10mm deep wood insert?