Australian Foosted Copy | DIY NOVICE | AKA Guz Death Sled | Powell Peralta Deck | Caliber 2's | 6355 190Kv Torque Boards | Dual Drive | 10S5P | Vesc 4.12

So I just rode to work this morning about 13km and left motor was making some funky noises.

Lucky I have a big workshop at work so I had a closer look and found this

IMG_8671 IMG_8672

:dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

So glad I had a look! And so glad one of the magnets didn’t break at 40km per hr… Pulled it all apart and glued them back down and glued the retainer ring back in… got home ok but don’t think I can trust it now

1 Like

Wimd resistance pays a massive part in battery consumption too. A headwind can easily cause you to be chewing more than double that of a tailwind.

Also I don’t know how old the motor is but mention it to Dexter and he should be able to sort you out.

1 Like

Damn. I haven’t been here for very long… But it seems like TB motors have a lot of loose magnet issues. I don’t really understand why tho, isn’t everybody ordering from the same motor supplier and just slapping labels on? Do they have like different levels of slave-labor quality control conveyor belts you choose when placing your order?

@Guz - Contact us and we’ll see how we can help.

@s5300 - Our motors are customized. When we come across issues such as this. We make changes to prevent these issues from re-occurring.

There have been some motors that seem to be having an epoxy fail issue. To prevent this issue in the future, we have added a few upgrades to prevent this issue from happening again even if the epoxy fails.

With the new upgrades we’ve lengthened the teeth on our retainer rings (frontend and backend) that add extra structure to the magnets. We’ve also added an additional ring on the frontside of the motor can to prevent the retainer ring from shifting or moving if the epoxy fails.

Any issues in relation to this will be warrantied. Just let us know.

3 Likes

Thanks man have emailed you guys👍 pS all I’m not knocking Torque Boards everything I have got from them has been excellent, as well as there customer service👌 Part of this could be some of the rough footpaths I have been riding on as well, we have a lot of sectional concrete here that gives the thing some hardcore vibrations. The motor never stopped mind you! Just made a bit of a high pitched noise, probably would of kept going for a lot longer

1 Like

IPulled the other motor apart and at first look the magnets looked ok but once I pulled the retaining ring out and gently pushed one it moved… I give up

Also in the rush to fix the first motor I didn’t even know the magnets have a particular way they face inside the can…:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::flushed::facepunch:t6:

Anyone know how you can check which way the magnets sit, I’ve tried to find some info but not much out there… I did find some tiny red marks on the outside of every second magnet which will help I guess if it’s an indication of polarity

image Started pulling apart “good” motor to reglue all the magnets and one fell apart in my hands as I was cleaning it up :man_shrugging::weary::weary::weary::weary: now no eskate for me and have to wait weeks for replacements

RIP 10char

Made one motor work out of two so mobile for now albeit totally different ride to dual setup :flushed:

15-20 days before TB even gets new cans in stock then add on another 4 weeks postage to OZ…brutal

Time to start looking at 6374 setup me thinks :man_shrugging::thinking::wink:

Will need to check yourself if they are suitable but some of the Turnigy Sk3 & Sk8 motors are stocked by hobbyking in their Australia warehouse so could potentially get one to keep you going if the one you got working packs it up as it looks like you got a bit of a wait to get replacement parts.

1 Like

Took your advice so much cheaper doing it this way…I’m on one 6355 atm

@mmaner hey Mike what size axle do you use on your surf rodz setups with the 6374 motors ? Thanks in Advance!!! :wink:

I believe they are 80 mm

yeah i thought so, and you need psychotillers mounts as the trucks wont fit the standard square setup huh? I am gonna go crazy and build something RAD

1 Like

80mm axles work fine in the tkps with thane or Nummies as long as your deck has clearance.

Yep, @psychotiller RIPBA mounts for SR TKPs.

1 Like

thanks man! much appreciated! now just gotta rob a bank :wink:

1 Like

You cant beat the sk3 6374’s. I’m in Brisbane and am running a dual and single with them and have done hundreds of km’s with zero problems. Got them on sale for $84 aud. Cheapest and best motors you can get in Australia. You just need to cover protect all openings to the motor using mesh or 3d printed covers. The problem you have experienced with the torqueboards motors is well documented and not uncommon unfortunately.

2 Likes

This is what I did. Works great

2 Likes

awesome idea! I didnt really have much inside the TB motors when I pulled them apart, mainly just sludge nothing too heavy.

Boxer where abouts in Briz are you from? I grew up northside out past Samford in the scrub :slight_smile: