Automatic belt tension slip prevention Idea!

Yeah id like to see pictures of the spring. I feel that a spring just wouldnt provide enough tension under load.

Wouldn’t a spring loaded have the opposite effect you’d want by loosening when under the most stress which is braking. What @lowGuido has looks great.

No, not if the belt is sufficiently wrapped around the motor pulley and the movement of the tensioner could be limited.

if you are limiting the movement of the tensioner, why not just just have it fully rigid? the way I see it, once its set to its optimum position tighten it and keep it there.

I’m still keen to see pics of this spring system though

1 Like

I think I’ve seen spring tension system somewhere… though I would still love to see how this works / looks on an e-board :slight_smile:

Great idea. Just like 3 wheel bandsaws though this will definitely suffer from accelerated belt wear due to tighter radius’s that it’s going around. I’m going to stick with #25 chain for my build.

nice and simple implementation, well done

how tight do you tension your belt with the idler? Looks pretty tight in your picture, is this still necessary?

Its not real tight. If anything its a little less tight than a belt without the idler.

So heres what wound up working best after trial and error… http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/james-bond-007-spy-board-arbor-vugenhausen-deck-custom-griptape-97mm-white-flywheels-white-and-gold-caliber-ii-50-trucks-10s-vesc-w-scilocone-conformal-coating-and-copper-heatsinks-hybrid-setup-6374-motor-sensored-niel-precision-ect/11982/38?u=lsalt

4 Likes

Hey, are you still using idlers and what what kind of screw did you use 5/16 or M8 with standard bearings?

1 Like

Yeah man. Would not ride a belt drive without one. I use M8 bolts.

1 Like

Awesome. I’ll definitely implement idler into my motor mount

@Lsalt Do you have pictures for it somewhere?