AWD Electric Skateboards?

lower kv motors use thinner wire and more windings to achieve more torque at higher voltages but at a lower top speed, a side effect of which is less energy wasted as heat.

higher kv motors use thicker wire and fewer windings to achieve less torque at lower voltages but at a higher top speed, and because of the increased current/lower voltage traveling through thicker wire you end up with a bit more heat.

This is why there is a balancing act that has to happen between the desired voltage of your system (6S, 8S, 10S, 12S) and your desired motors (~270kv,~245kv,~210kv,~190kv)

beyond that you also have to consider pulley ratios and wheel height. In my personal opinion the voltage should determine the motor kv and your body weight should determine your pulley ratio and wheel size as well as your voltage.

You mean lower kv motors achieve more torque at lower voltages with a lower top speed, or am I mistaken?

it seems counter intuitive but the way i wrote it is correct. On a 6S system running a 270kv motor will give you a higher top speed than a 245kv motor if the pulley ratios are the same. I have tested this in the real world, its not just math. On a 14/36 ratio the highest i ever got on my set of R-SPEC 245s was 27mph. I topped that with a set of NTM Propdrive 270s at 31mph and everything else was the same on the board.

The same is true at 12S. If you run 170s youā€™re not going to get the same top end as you will on 190s or 210s. The thing about 12S though is that you have tons more torque so you just swap torque back for top end in the pulley ratio or in the wheel height or both.

2 Likes

To your original post, I am a 155lb rider, but I went with the best setup I could build, Iā€™m sure if you have some coin to spend you can assemble 4 190kv motors at a 16/40 ratio they should be able to pull you and make it up hills in excess of 25 kmph

Kv literally means ā€œrotations per voltā€, overall power of the motor is rated in watts, the gear its in or how that power is applied, is written in revolutions per volt (kv)ā€¦

@Sirshaunsta @squishy654 you guys are replying to a dead 2 year old topic to a member who hasnā€™t been active for over a yearā€¦

might be waiting a while for a reply :wink:

2 Likes

Ty I didnā€™t check first

I noticed, and I replied for the audienceā€¦

1 Like